Silkie thread!

My little self-blue is finally doing better and toes are looking pretty straight!!!
wee.gif
I will pray to all Chicken Gods and Mother Nature, and whoever else I can think of, that this little one is a hen!
lau.gif
Then she can stay. I've been waiting to get a self-blue for only two years now. lol Finally one hatched!!

This one just cracks me up.
lol.png

How many days has she been broody? I'd wait a few days to make sure she's committed. And yes, have a back up plan!

I ended up with 3 broody hens with 4 eggs. Those eggs got juggled so often.
hmm.png
Then I had the two 9 month old pullets looking like they wanted to join in.
th.gif
That would have been a pile-up and a half! Good thing those 4 eggs hatched before the other two girls decided to sit down. I also gave the 3 hens some week old chicks to care for so there were some for each mom and no need to steal children away from others.
lol.png

Do you only have the two hens with your rooster? The hens stop laying when they go broody.

love.gif

My turner turns them every half hour, I think.
I don't know how often you should do it by hand, if that's what you're thinking? I've read every 4 hours, but I have no idea if that's true or not..
yep, 2 girls only. I know they stop laying when they're broody, that's why I was panicking! then they won't mate either and then I'll have to wait weeks again until they have fertile eggs :) oh well. The hen did come off the nest a few hours later. I guess she decided to let the pullet do her thing and have fun with the rooster :) she won't mate anyways. She runs away screaming. none of her eggs have been fertile thus far :(

so your hens took the chicks, were they not broody at all? I often wonder what mine would do if I just handed her some chicks. She likes being a mom.

I've read that you have to turn an egg t least three times a day an odd number of times, when you candle is it suppose to be free floating or semi slowest moving and kinda stuck to the side after a couple if days?

My little self-blue is finally doing better and toes are looking pretty straight!!! :weee I will pray to all Chicken Gods and Mother Nature, and whoever else I can think of, that this little one is a hen! :lau Then she can stay. I've been waiting to get a self-blue for only two years now. lol Finally one hatched!! This one just cracks me up. :lol: [/quote They are so cute!

If anyone is planning to attend the Sussex NJ show on May 18th, we will be there. We have the following birds available for sale and will bring them if anyone is interested. Please PM me here on BYC, or contact me on FB:

Silkies:
1) Partridge pen - 5 birds with 1 cock, 1 hen, 3 pullets
2) One deep black cockerel with green sheen - just turning one year old
3) Two splash cockerels - just turning one year old
4) Lots of blue chicks in varying shades (some very pretty light ones) - from 1-3 weeks old
5) One pet quality partridge chick - 3 days old

Welcome wee ones to Paterson's Poultry Plantation & Garden (My Scottish Mother in Law and my Scottish Aunt gave that their seal of approval :)
My two white silkies, EE, Golden & Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpington & Astralorp are healthy and dong well. My brooder is a large ring of cardboard just big enough for me to step in at one point to tend them. When I do they all make a mad rush toward me. They like crawling all over my hands, especially the little buffy. My tiny EE is fearless leap frogging off the backs of the others if they are in the way of her ever changing destination. I think the poor little baby we lost was my Barred Rock, she looked like she never had a chance on arrival yesterday.

yep, 2 girls only. I know they stop laying when they're broody, that's why I was panicking! then they won't mate either and then I'll have to wait weeks again until they have fertile eggs :) oh well. The hen did come off the nest a few hours later. I guess she decided to let the pullet do her thing and have fun with the rooster :) she won't mate anyways. She runs away screaming. none of her eggs have been fertile thus far :(

so your hens took the chicks, were they not broody at all? I often wonder what mine would do if I just handed her some chicks. She likes being a mom.
My hens were broody, that's why they happily took the chicks. I wouldn't dare give chicks to a hen that wasn't broody. I haven't heard any good stories doing it that way. One of my not-broody hens did seem very interested in the chicks though. Almost as if she wanted a few for herself. But she just got done taking care of 3 chicks, they went to new homes a few weeks ago. That might be why she was so interested..

I love my Hippie & Chick! These are the only two I have.
Nice picture.

Back
Top Bottom