Silkie thread!

My babies are going to be 7 weeks old on the 5th. Looks like I have 4 girls and 5 boys. The tiny lavender, the blue and 2 porcelains are girls and the one white and remaining 4 porcelains are boys. They are getting so cute! These are my first Silkies and I am loving them!

Last edited:
My babies are going to be 7 weeks old on the 5th. Looks like I have 4 girls and 5 boys. The tiny lavender, the blue and 2 porcelains are girls and the one white and remaining 4 porcelains are boys. They are getting so cute! These are my first Silkies and I am loving them!

Aww! They are cute! How can you tell what sex they are? I have a few with slightly bigger combs, I know for sure on 2 of them based on temperment, but some are really hard to tell.

Aww! They are cute! How can you tell what sex they are? I have a few with slightly bigger combs, I know for sure on 2 of them based on temperment, but some are really hard to tell.

I have the same question. I can't even tell which ones you are talking about are the different colors. LOL And oh my the cuteness!

Last edited:
The combs are obvious on the rooster chicks and they have attitude!
lol.png

I have the same question. I can't even tell which ones you are talking about are the different colors. LOL And oh my the cuteness!
Second picture is my lavender pullet, the darkest chick that looks black is actually a dark blue pullet, the white one is in the middle of the last picture and all the other chicks are porcelains. The color varies a lot in the porcelains since they are a project color
wink.png

Hello again Viollettt
frow.gif

Thank you so very much for your responses. I spend many an hour just sitting watching my tribe; hubby reckons I am stalking them lol. They get called bubbies, sweet peas, buttons, munchkins and pom poms lol. Like you, I am too soft hearted. I had an idea last night to leave Cilla out free ranging with Dusty til as late as possible to see what the bubbies would do. I caved, I had to put her in with them, they were peeping so much for their mum! She was still looking for somewhere higher to roost.

I think she wants to be with them but also wants to roost.

I have been mulling over what to do for a while now and this morning I had an idea; don't now why I didn't think of it before! Doh!. If Cilla is looking for somewhere higher to roost and the bubbies still want her with them; why don't I give Cilla a higher roost in the coop with the bubbies?

In the picture you can see the two low roosts in front of them so I have secured a higher perch slightly further back so no chance of being pooped on; it is about the same height as the one she had in the other coop.

I am a little excited to see what happens. I don't think the bubbies will be able to get up to it but it is close to the roosts they could use and is she uses hers, they might just start using theirs.

I will let you know how I go. Thanks again!
smile.png
How old are they? You might be amazed at how high young chicks can get. I have some youngsters (maybe two months) that get about 4-5 feet up. And there is no ladder in that coop.

Second picture is my lavender pullet, the darkest chick that looks black is actually a dark blue pullet, the white one is in the middle of the last picture and all the other chicks are porcelains. The color varies a lot in the porcelains since they are a project color
wink.png

Thank you! I am still wondering about mine. I can sort of tell but still not too sure.

The combs are obvious on the rooster chicks and they have attitude!
lol.png

If you look at the pics I posted today, you can see combs on some of them. I think a few of them are boys, but the mothers, although super fluffy with large crests and no wattles, have larger combs. Not huge but if you pull back the crest you can see little walnuts under them. So some of mine may be girls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom