Silkie thread!

It's a cold, windy night for chicks to be born, but I have one chick pipping and another very close out under a pair of broodies. Between them and the rest of the flock, they should be warm. I only stuck the two eggs underneath them so they could go ahead and at least produce something for their troubles. This particular hen wasn't broody until halfway through the incubation, but joined in with the other hen. Broodiness is contagious. This hen has raised four or five broods since last spring. She is pretty when at her best, but motherhood makes her a little ragged. I love seeing her with her brood though. She's a great mother, and very protective.

It's a cold, windy night for chicks to be born, but I have one chick pipping and another very close out under a pair of broodies. Between them and the rest of the flock, they should be warm. I only stuck the two eggs underneath them so they could go ahead and at least produce something for their troubles. This particular hen wasn't broody until halfway through the incubation, but joined in with the other hen. Broodiness is contagious. This hen has raised four or five broods since last spring. She is pretty when at her best, but motherhood makes her a little ragged. I love seeing her with her brood though. She's a great mother, and very protective.
Beautiful hen :love

So my friend on another thread posted this picture under my Lily, because of the resmblance... I'm still laughing!

Lily...

I had a Cockerel named Bumble
lol.png
I name all my silkies winter themed names!

Well, Ella laid an egg yesterday, so her broody days are over. But she keeps on mothering those chicks anyway. They still sleep under her wings at night and they better not stray too far away from her or she'll call them back. I don't understand. I thought they cut the chicks loose once they lost that broody urge. The only thing she isn't doing that she did a week or two ago is tidbit for them. Otherwise it's like nothing's changed. Do some silkies just enjoy mothering things even if they aren't broody?

Well, Ella laid an egg yesterday, so her broody days are over. But she keeps on mothering those chicks anyway. They still sleep under her wings at night and they better not stray too far away from her or she'll call them back. I don't understand. I thought they cut the chicks loose once they lost that broody urge. The only thing she isn't doing that she did a week or two ago is tidbit for them. Otherwise it's like nothing's changed. Do some silkies just enjoy mothering things even if they aren't broody?
Yes some do, mine does. I also have 4 month old babies who do that.

Last edited:
I have a cochin who has 3 month olds still (avatar pic), that are bigger than her. I think silkies and cochins are made to be mommies. I think it's cute watching those huge chicks try to get under them.

Last edited:
Well I am a crazy silkie mom. They are hunkering down for the storm in here with us. We don't have a garage, just the big barn, and the big fowl flock is going in there with the alpacas. So in the house the silkies came. :) I have broodies in the tote in the corner. A lot of cleaning in my future I think.

Well I am a crazy silkie mom. They are hunkering down for the storm in here with us. We don't have a garage, just the big barn, and the big fowl flock is going in there with the alpacas. So in the house the silkies came. :) I have broodies in the tote in the corner. A lot of cleaning in my future I think.
God love em. Silkies are the only breed of chicken that tolerate our silliness. :lau

Back
Top Bottom