Silkie thread!

My babies are getting bigger!!

I need some help please. I have hatched 2 batches of silkie eggs and so far I have lost 3 of them, I have one that was spraddle legged and 2 that I'm not sure what's wrong because their legs wont straighten out. Are silkies normally difficult to hatch yourself or am I doing something wrong?

I haven't had trouble with silkies, but haven't tried to hatch any this time of year. I did try to hatch D'anver hatched 3 out of 17. All had issues with their feet and legs. 1 silkie mix hatched fine. Thinking it could be my incubator the breeder I got eggs from tried to hatch me some and got 6 out of 24 to hatch and 1 had leg issues. I hatched out 100+ chicks in the summer and had no problems with any of them. I have read of others on here having trouble too. I think the dry air if winter really messes with the hatch process.

Last edited:
I was told that it was insufficient turning during the incubation period or humidity related . I've had a few hatch with hip problems and there really is nothing you can do for them. The splayed leg however is treatable and I have successfully rehabbed 2 x chicks. This little guy couldn't even get his legs under him, but 2 days after being taped , he was good as new. The bandaid cure works well.

Back
Top Bottom