Silkie thread!

You guys ever done the wood ashes in their area they dust bathe? Still haven't had a problem since then. I throw in that about once every two weeks or so.

I'm just using dirt and sand in a 4x4 garden box. I was going to use ash & DE but decided against these since what I've been doing for 3 years is working w/ no ill effects. Were you the one who had trouble w/ their chicks getting respiratory problems from ash? Someone on BYC had issues so I decided to leave well enough alone in my yard. However, if ash works for you or others, go for it. We all do what we think best for our cuties, right? My Silkies like to use the middle of my backyard to dig their way to China. You can't see them in the hole - just the dust cloud rising from it LOL They're gonna miss it when I put my new garden box in that spot.

As if she doesn't have enough children to worry about, this one has been laying an egg every day for a week. The chicks are just now 5 weeks old. She is ambitious I'll give her that.

Wow, we have chicks that are 4 weeks now but mama hasn't started laying again. Soon I hope! Does she still 'mother' the chicks, or do they just become 'one of the flock' once she starts laying again?

UPDATE!! After 8 silkie eggs and 5 of them coming out with leg problems, only 1 survived. I also hatched 9 Rhode Island Reds and they all came out perfect. Not sure what is going on with the silkies but is inbreeding possible. The hen we got the eggs from was purchase with a rooster as adults so I'm not sure what is going on with them.

My newest babies

Well, I'm starting a Silkie breeding pen! Right now, I've got a "calico" cock, and one adult black hen... who doesn't lay eggs, unfortunately. BUT, I've got chicks in the brooder, and I am very pleased to say that they are turning out very nicely.
clap.gif
I'll be posting pictures soon.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom