Silkie thread!

maggie and lucy love music.

but on a sad note, we've come to the conclusion that lucy may die. her leg is either infected, or a band is around it. either way, we may have to amputate and she may not survive without the leg.
I am so sorry to hear this. My cousin has a peahen that lost her leg this winter from frost bite-she flew the coop one day when they were giving them food and didn't come back for 2 days. She is doing really well though and the other peacocks don't bother her one bit. They've decided to name her Peggy, the peg legged peahen.

My silkie rooster sits down a lot. He struts around for a while, then lays down. He will even sit in front of the food and eat. I am worried there is something wrong with his legs as he is so sedentary. I don't have much experience to compare his behavior, but have a hunch something is hurting and making him sit down a lot. (He really could just be lazy for all I know) I felt his legs/thighs and nothing seemed out of place or swollen. I was able to move his legs around and they moved smoothly, nothing popped or felt out of place. He didn't seem to mind me poking around him either. I checked his feet to see if he had anything poking him and everything looked okay. Does anyone have a suggestion on what else I can check or what to look for?

SamanthaDixie: I believe you were having an issue with one of your chicken's legs, how did you know something was wrong under all those feathers?

My silkie rooster sits down a lot. He struts around for a while, then lays down. He will even sit in front of the food and eat. I am worried there is something wrong with his legs as he is so sedentary. I don't have much experience to compare his behavior, but have a hunch something is hurting and making him sit down a lot. (He really could just be lazy for all I know) I felt his legs/thighs and nothing seemed out of place or swollen. I was able to move his legs around and they moved smoothly, nothing popped or felt out of place. He didn't seem to mind me poking around him either. I checked his feet to see if he had anything poking him and everything looked okay. Does anyone have a suggestion on what else I can check or what to look for?

SamanthaDixie: I believe you were having an issue with one of your chicken's legs, how did you know something was wrong under all those feathers?

first we thought she had poop on her leg. then we saw the big leg and were like WHOA!

first we thought she had poop on her leg. then we saw the big leg and were like WHOA!
Oh no. I am so sorry!
sad.png

My rooster doesn't appear swollen at all, so maybe he really is just lazy and sits around a lot.

Those toes look rather fat for a Silkie. You should also trim his nails. If roos are fed protein or calcium rich feed ie layer pellets , it makes them susceptible to gout.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Every one needs Epsom salts in their first aid kit. Great for flushing toxins internally and soaking externally . I always have a box on hand for suspected poisoning. A good antibiotic spray is also a must. I keep a can of Terramycin and have used on horses, goats, chickens and cows.

Back
Top Bottom