Silkie thread!

Meet my new little sweetheart Dixie! I just picked her up this morning and I totally adore her :)

Beautiful!!
love.gif

Those toes look rather fat for a Silkie. You should also trim his nails. If roos are fed protein or calcium rich feed ie layer pellets , it makes them susceptible to gout.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Every one needs Epsom salts in their first aid kit. Great for flushing toxins internally and soaking externally . I always have a box on hand for suspected poisoning. A good antibiotic spray is also a must. I keep a can of Terramycin and have used on horses, goats, chickens and cows.
Thank you so much for pointing that out! I keep epsom salt around for bee stings-it greatly reduces swelling if you soak the sting in epsom salt dissolved in warm water. If I can get the Terramycin spray, do you just spray on the affected areas?

I've trimmed their nails before, but this one has been difficult to catch. Any tips on what kind of trimmer to use on their nails and how to avoid hitting the quick?

If my conversion chart is right 33 f is only 0-1 c. That's pretty cold. 250w will cook them and if you keep them too warm it retards their feather growth. There is safety in numbers, body heat and your 125 w globe ( raised ) is ample.

Now they've revised the low down to potentially the upper 20's, so I'm leaning towards bringing them in for the night.
Besides deep litter, there's no insulation in the coop and I don't want to have to stress them out.
Stinks too because they were having a ball and I can just imagine what they'll be thinking when we toss them back in the brooder.

I'm there with you. I had mine broke of the heat lamp. I will be turning on all the brooder lights this evening. They have 60 watt bulbs enough to knock the chill off.

Back
Top Bottom