Silkie thread!

Ok... I'm so embarrassed for having to ask this, but we hatched out 3 silkies last Spring and I thought they turned out to be 2 white hens and a black rooster. I've hatched out 2 of their eggs as a test for my broody Sassy girl back around New Years and she hatched 1 white and 1 black silkie. Still not 100% of sex yet. But my real question is, do you think my Rooster, Franando is really Blue and not actually black?

They are my summer time project. There's no telling what color I will get. She is white, both of her parents are white, but one of the boys I got from your place will be the daddy. They are both blue, but didn't you say they have partridge in them some where down the line. I'll be sure and keep you posted on what I get.

Their Dad was white, mom was splash, and they have a brother an sister blue partridge. Plus those blues! LOL. I've got my colors separated now!

Ok... I'm so embarrassed for having to ask this, but we hatched out 3 silkies last Spring and I thought they turned out to be 2 white hens and a black rooster. I've hatched out 2 of their eggs as a test for my broody Sassy girl back around New Years and she hatched 1 white and 1 black silkie. Still not 100% of sex yet. But my real question is, do you think my Rooster, Franando is really Blue and not actually black?
Definitely not black.

Epsom salts are also great in your own bath. For open wounds I flush out and remove any debris , wash down with antiseptic , dry then spray the entire area with Terramycin. Reapply daily.
I use an old pair of human nail clippers. The beauty of these is you can't cut too much off at once. Treat them like black dog nails , a little at a time. Keep some corn flour or cayenne pepper around to stem any bleeding that may occur.

We keep a styptic pencil on hand if bleeding happens after trimming although we've never caused bleeding yet. And yes, it's annoying but every couple days we trim a bit more again. One old Silkie has the curliest toenails because she broods so much from tucking those toes and nails under her.

Question: Has anyone ever tried using the electric nail trimmers like the ones used on canines? I'm always afraid of splitting the brittle Silkie nails with ordinary hand clippers. Any input welcome!

Thank you! So if he's a blue rooster and I breed him with my white hen, what are the color possibilities. I've tried googling it and haven't had any luck finding that combo. I have 9 of their eggs in the incubator right now and it will be so interesting to see what pops out.

We keep a styptic pencil on hand if bleeding happens after trimming although we've never caused bleeding yet. And yes, it's annoying but every couple days we trim a bit more again. One old Silkie has the curliest toenails because she broods so much from tucking those toes and nails under her.

Question: Has anyone ever tried using the electric nail trimmers like the ones used on canines? I'm always afraid of splitting the brittle Silkie nails with ordinary hand clippers. Any input welcome!

Showies recommend trimming then filing.

0.jpg

here's maggie doing what she does best..

One day she'll get too fat and get stuck on one of those escapes and will she be surprised!

Back
Top Bottom