Silkie thread!

I have a problem. Past two mornings I went out and found one of my Splash Silkie's chicks squashed flat under her. Do I take the two remaining chicks put them in the brooder and return her to the flock?

Has she ever raised chicks before? It may have been an accident. Most of my experienced broodies are guilty of stepping on their chicks, and I can usually tell it stresses them quite a bit, even though the babies are fine.

If you're really worried about them, take them away. Or maybe provide her with a bigger nesting spot and hope it doesn't happen again? My current broody hatched her 9 babies in a rather small nest box (at least its too small for a mom and 9 chicks). So, I moved them all out onto the coop floor near her box to give her a little more room to do her business :)

I have a problem. Past two mornings I went out and found one of my Splash Silkie's chicks squashed flat under her. Do I take the two remaining chicks put them in the brooder and return her to the flock?

Very sorry to hear, could it have passed away and she kept sitting on it?

Well the second peep hatched last night here they are before I took them out.

The new young Momma hen was great not mean at all I even heard her clucking a bit to them. After a bit I heard one peeping and I looked in on them and one was out from under her peeping trying to get back under her and she was just sitting there so I lifted her up a bit and it got under her. Don't know why she didn't tuck it in herself but all is well for now. I really hope she works out because I don't want house chickens. Thanks for everyone's help.

This is her first brood. I have her in a 36x24 lg dog kennel. I'm leaving them with her for the time being and will check on them at bed time. She seems to be a really good Mama. I'm sure she isn't doing it on purpose. The chicks were all acting fine so I think its a accidental squashing.

I was kind of thinking that, but how do you "create" porcelain? Her rather is a blue Partridge and mother is either a blue Partridge or blue with gold leakage. I guess they could be carrying other genetics, since I did not breed the parents.
The "recipie" for porcelain is lavender and buff. But I've found that sometimes Miracles happen. I got some beautiful silver partridge from grey and white birds. The first generation was a grey silkie roo and a white sizzle hen. Then I used the black sizzle hen I got from them that has just the slightest white lacing on her neck and put her with a white silkie roo. That was 2nd generation. Third generation is the silver partridge girls I got from that 2nd mix and a grey roo also from the 2nd mix. I am now getting silver partridge and greys. As soon as I get a silver partridge boy he will replace the current grey one.

I also got a porcelain girl from the mix of a porcelain roo and a lav split hen that usually produced either splash or blue offspring. After 2 years of hatching I got 1 porcelain and it just happened to be a girl, I"ve gotten some pretty interesting colors from my sizzle pen. That pen is mixed color.

Just had to share... I had a rough day yesterday, so when I got home, I took Sam, one of my cuddliest partridge silkies, in the house to hug and pet. (My doctor calls them my therapy chickens.) I lay down with her on a towel next to me, checked my email, and fell asleep. I half-woke several times to her snuggling her head and neck against me, and woke this morning to her making the soft little trill sound. She stayed on her towel and was sweet and wonderful the whole time. It really helped. I'd better get some chicken diapers made soon in case this happens again :)

Still not sure how to tell the difference in hen and rooster silkies. This one is about 8-9 weeks old. I'm assuming it's non-bearded, but this is my first silkie and I'm still learning. She's still pretty skittish, but getting better.

I am in love.  Did you breed her or did you buy her from someone?
thanks, I love her too! Amazing personality. She's from my top buff hen who is queen and my dark blue showgirl rooster. They've been throwing unique color combos. But Rita struts her stuff with the big girls and I'm sure she will be the next queen of the coop!

I've already lost one of my beautiful chicks :hit

I found it under the nest boxes covered in snake slobber. It makes me so angry when one is lost and the killer doesn't even make use of it. Just swallowed it about halfway down and spit it back out :barnie

So, now they're sharing the brooder with my turkey poults. The poults are mad, broody hen is mad, chicks are mad...and so am I. Ugh.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom