Silkie thread!

Hi All, I hope you don't mind me popping in to ask a question. I got some silkie chicks back the beginning of March, they were not more than a week old. 2 of them are still very tiny. I'm posting a picture here of what I would consider one of the "normal" sized almost 4 month olds and one of the extra tiny ones, same age. The larger is 520 grams vs. the smaller at 230 grams. What does a silkie of this age normally weigh in at?

What do you make of this? There was an illness that went through my flock and all of these got a little sick, but recovered (was respiratory and effected their eyes)

Do you think this little one is extra small? Have you seen this happen before? Honestly, it doesn't seem like either of my tiny ones are growing, although they are very active and healthy acting, eating fine, etc. Thoughts? Thank you :)

Hi All, I hope you don't mind me popping in to ask a question. I got some silkie chicks back the beginning of March, they were not more than a week old. 2 of them are still very tiny. I'm posting a picture here of what I would consider one of the "normal" sized almost 4 month olds and one of the extra tiny ones, same age. The larger is 520 grams vs. the smaller at 230 grams. What does a silkie of this age normally weigh in at? What do you make of this? There was an illness that went through my flock and all of these got a little sick, but recovered (was respiratory and effected their eyes) Do you think this little one is extra small? Have you seen this happen before? Honestly, it doesn't seem like either of my tiny ones are growing, although they are very active and healthy acting, eating fine, etc. Thoughts? Thank you :)
I've had them. Either way. They may stay a lot smaller than the rest. As long as they are happy and healthy they will be fine. I think this is due to genetics of breeding 2 smaller than standard size birds together to get extra small offspring. Works the same way if you keep breeding the bigger more fluffy birds to other unusually big mates.

My silkie had her chicks today! She had a partridge cochin and a black cochin. The problem is she is afraid of them and runs away lol so I had to take them and put them in a brooder.

My babies today... I had to clean the cage but they didn't want me to the black one I call Bruce Lee cause he kicks sideways at me sometimes... And this morning I thought it was choking but I think it was trying to crow??? I dunno I'm at a loss for words

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom