Silkie thread!

I'm about to build a chicken coop with my dad!!!!!!!!!! : )
Exciting!!! I can't wait to build a bigger coop for my chickies! Just can't decide on a design...........I also need to find a cheap design!
We built a loft for my pigeons and only spent $200 and it was suppose to cost $500! So maybe I can do that again......

Hi! I have some eggs in the bator (some possibly silkies, got them from a friend). It's the 21st day today and I was wondering if I have to remove the egg turner. Shouldn't they start hatching soon? :D Soo excited to see them!
I have hatched eggs before but I've never used an egg turner.

You will need to remove the egg turner , but if any of them have pipped internally you risk them drowning. This link is long but will go a long way to explaining the whole process.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

I just recounted the days on the calundar and it's actually day 19 so I calmed down a bit lol. I followed some instruction on YouTube, and I turned off the turner, easily took the whole thing out and put the eggs back in without the turner. Everything went good so yay!!! Water is filled and temp is coming. :D :D

Last edited:
I (finally) got some silkies chicks this morning! I've wanted some for the past year but had trouble finding them locally. My local southern states got a shipment in and I got two blacks, a buff and a white! They are half the size of my week old LF chicks that I got last week and absolutely adorable!

I just recounted the days on the calundar and it's actually day 19 so I calmed down a bit lol. I followed some instruction on YouTube, and I turned off the turner, easily took the whole thing out and put the eggs back in without the turner. Everything went good so yay!!! Water is filled and temp is coming.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
That's good!!!

I (finally) got some silkies chicks this morning! I've wanted some for the past year but had trouble finding them locally. My local southern states got a shipment in and I got two blacks, a buff and a white! They are half the size of my week old LF chicks that I got last week and absolutely adorable!
Good for you!!!! My Silkie is half the size of my LF chicks and their the same age!!!

How old did you say she/he is?  If they can still do things like walk around in the grass and especially if you've seen her sun bathe or take a dust bath (or other things chickens enjoy), I would let her keep on unless she seems in pain.  I had a one-legged silkie (raccoon ripped off her other leg so I stitched up the hole in her body) and she got around fine hopping on one leg.  I gave her to a friend that keeps her birds indoors though, since it was too sad watching her get mated (the roosters would hop on her and press her right to the ground and she couldn't get away from them).
She's 2 mo. And she sin bathes a lot. Hangs with other chickens just is slower

I wanted to post some pics of my babies! They are growing so fast!!! Coco and Brownie are now 4.5, almost 5 weeks old now. I still have a strong suspicion that Brownie is a boy, just based on his/her behavior. I'm really hoping at least Coco is a girl! I know it is too soon to tell for sure, but if anyone has any educated guess, please feel free to jump in!!

This is a rare shot of them side by side. Brownie is the bigger one. Coco is up front.

This is Coco's profile closer up - Brownie is looking at the cat through the back screen. Please excuse the messy pads in the bottom of the brooder!

This is Brownie's back close up.

They were having a great time tormenting the cats tonight - they were chucking out pieces of bedding through the screens, trying to hit the cats!

Back
Top Bottom