Silkie thread!

I don't know whether they are siblings or not, they are all from the same breeder, but she had a couple of roos and several hens. And I am holding out on deciding whether Clem and FeFe are male or female. I am new to silkies and unlike cochin, determining sex is a bit more challenging. And I would hate to give away two beautiful silkies and later find out they were hens.

I have tried to take pics to share and get advice, but they haven't turned out very well....They are between 14 and 16 weeks. This is FeFe..

And this is Clem..

Agreed. Wait till they reach maturity before giving them away. If you don't know whether they are siblings or not I wouldn't advise breeding to each other. We don't want genetic anomalies in the Silkie lines.

Need to know genders... guessing on one but sure about other.

Male I'm sure 3ish months?

Unknown..2 is months?

Now I can't go by comb because 8th seen hens with big combs. Blacks bigger and has long legs and tail feathers.
Blue has comb not too big but just fluffyness lol what u think?

I have a question about Uncle Sam.
Bill bought him on March 27th, so he's only about 4 months old. You can see that he is pretty poofy but he still has a lot of feathers. Will he ever be all poofy or will he always have some feathers. Especially on his wings and feet. They are VERY stiff.

What I meant was that the feathers on his wings and feet are so stiff they are not comfortable to hold him. Will they fall out and fuzz replace them as he gets older?

Last edited:
I have a question about Uncle Sam. Bill bought him on March 27th, so he's only about 4 months old. You can see that he is pretty poofy but he still has a lot of feathers. Will he ever be all poofy or will he always have some feathers. Especially on his wings and feet. They are VERY stiff. What I meant was that the feathers on his wings and feet are so stiff they are not comfortable to hold him. Will they fall out and fuzz replace them as he gets older?
The ends of the flights should be ragged, often referred to as ' osprey plumage '. Do you have a side on pic and perhaps one with the wing extended?

Why does Uncle Sam raise his neck feathers when we pick him up? He doesn't act like he's scared or angry. He had started to put them down in this picture.

Back
Top Bottom