Silkie thread!

I NEED HELP NOW ok so my neighbor was selling his chickens and I got a new white silkie from this years stuff from the place he got them and i also got a leghorn and a silican buttercup and he told me they don't get eggs from them because they lay on the ground where ever they are and I thought that is ridiculous but he's not my silkie and the others lay there eggs where ever they are so what should i do the leghorn and buttercup have access to boxes and my silkie has a place also with a fake egg in it and they won't lay there so what do i do i need help asap

With any new chicken keep them enclosed in a pen with nestboxes for two weeks. They should get used to laying in the nestboxes if the boxes are semi-private and filled with clean bedding - I use straw and my girls love it when the straw is fresh. A faux egg in each nest sometimes works but with my Silkies the egg might encourage them to get broody. Silkies LUV to sit on eggs - anybody's eggs! I had one Silkie that tried to set a cucumber slice.

With any new chicken keep them enclosed in a pen with nestboxes for two weeks.  They should get used to laying in the nestboxes if the boxes are semi-private and filled with clean bedding - I use straw and my girls love it when the straw is fresh.  A faux egg in each nest sometimes works but with my Silkies the egg might encourage them to get broody.  Silkies LUV to sit on eggs - anybody's eggs!  I had one Silkie that tried to set a cucumber slice.

So true, I had one this week sitting on a Vicks jar that had dropped into the pen. :lau

Hatched some silkies and cochins. My silkies have some unusual coloring, egg was marked buff/blue on most. What do you think these will be? Color wise.
more pics 1. i have a few that look like this light buff and light blue coloring. 2. this one is amazing looking in person. Mostly a light grey with a lighter white blue that you see in the tail coming out. #2 side shot of the grey one #3 light biege with splashy grey on the ends of its wings. This is my largest silky so maybe a roo. #4 not sure as to what to call this. Darker than the others and has mixed colorded wings
They're so cute.

With any new chicken keep them enclosed in a pen with nestboxes for two weeks.  They should get used to laying in the nestboxes if the boxes are semi-private and filled with clean bedding - I use straw and my girls love it when the straw is fresh.  A faux egg in each nest sometimes works but with my Silkies the egg might encourage them to get broody.  Silkies LUV to sit on eggs - anybody's eggs!  I had one Silkie that tried to set a cucumber slice.

She finally learned how to make a nest and made one and I have been getting some jumbo Pekin eggs and everyday put one in she laid 4 eggs last week and this week hasn't laid any yet but she goes to the nest everyday and turns the eggs but its very very very cold here in colorado where I am and the silkies are the funniest they eat i. The barn while all my other chickens are older and huddle together in the hay bales lol but even my peacocks wont go outside in the snow lol my ducks and geese are all outside but all my others just stay in the barn and huddle and sometimes get up and eat

She finally learned how to make a nest and made one and I have been getting some jumbo Pekin eggs and everyday put one in she laid 4 eggs last week and this week hasn't laid any yet but she goes to the nest everyday and turns the eggs but its very very very cold here in colorado where I am and the silkies are the funniest they eat i. The barn while all my other chickens are older and huddle together in the hay bales lol but even my peacocks wont go outside in the snow lol my ducks and geese are all outside but all my others just stay in the barn and huddle and sometimes get up and eat
Nate, Do your geese get along with your chickens?

I have a goose and ducks that free range with my chickens. They get along fine except when the water fowel want to go under the tree the Silkies hang under. You've never seen anything as funny as a flock of full grown ducks and a goose running from a puffed up Silkie roo.

Back
Top Bottom