Silkie thread!

Very cute, makes me want to start incubating eggs, only problem is no hens are broody and I don't want to start up the incubator yet. I'll be using it soon enough for a lot of bobwhite quail.

4 total, 3 pictured. 2 partridge, 2 white..but they both still sit on the remaining eggs. They also take turns taking the babies out to eat! Nature is crazy awesome. Will they know when to leave the nest for good? I know they can tell, but Im having doubts. Chickens are stressful sometimes.
That's amazing that they share, darling chicks!

4 total, 3 pictured. 2 partridge, 2 white..but they both still sit on the remaining eggs. They also take turns taking the babies out to eat! Nature is crazy awesome. Will they know when to leave the nest for good? I know they can tell, but Im having doubts. Chickens are stressful sometimes.

They're precious! Congrats! :jumpy

I'm getting really frustrated with one of my Silkie cockerels, Gingy. He was always my favorite and so sweet, but over the past few weeks he's developed the habit of biting my hands...HARD. It doesn't appear to be a problem with his vision as his eyes are still clear of feathers and I haven't been able to determine a trigger. It's definitely getting on my nerves. Sometimes he's fine...sitting on my lap to be pet, cooing affectionately...but other times.....
he.gif

Hi Desertchic!

Do you wear any sort of jewelry or nailpolish color he might be pecking at?
I have a white silkie rooster that used to peck me all the time. I proved to him I was bigger than he is and I'm the one in control of this flock. LOL Whenever he was outside in a pen by himself running loose? I'd go in the pen and start saying: I'm gonna get'cha over and over - wiggling my fingers and coming at him. He'd end up in a corner and I'd rough his feathers up on his back in a playful manner while his head was up against the fence. Then after I picked him up. I'd grab his beak between my fingers and hold it. I'd wiggle his head back and forth and tell him: No peck! Several times! It didn't take him long to learn who was bigger and in control. LOL He'd try pecking me while he's in his crate too. So I'd wait until he turned his back on me and then I'd flatten him down with my hand. Now he knows he'll get flattened if he tries to peck me when I reach inside his crate. So he leaves me alone now.

You just have to find a way to let him know - Your the boss and your bigger than he is! :)

TC

Hi Desertchic!

I have a white silkie rooster that used to peck me all the time. I proved to him I was bigger than he is and I'm the one in control of this flock. LOL Whenever he was outside in a pen by himself running loose? I'd go in the pen and start saying: I'm gonna get'cha over and over - wiggling my fingers and coming at him. He'd end up in a corner and I'd rough his feathers up on his back in a playful manner while his head was up against the fence. Then after I picked him up. I'd grab his beak between my fingers and hold it. I'd wiggle his head back and forth and tell him: No peck! Several times! It didn't take him long to learn who was bigger and in control. LOL He'd try pecking me while he's in his crate too. So I'd wait until he turned his back on me and then I'd flatten him down with my hand. Now he knows he'll get flattened if he tries to peck me when I reach inside his crate. So he leaves me alone now.

You just have to find a way to let him know - Your the boss and your bigger than he is! :)

TC

I did the same thing with one of my RIR hens that was pecking. Show him who's boss!
1f601.png

Hi Desertchic!

TC
Great post. Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom