Silkie thread!

Hey all. I am new to raising chicks. I have 3 Rhode Island reds, 2 barred rocks,and 6 silkies. They are all still really little,still in a brooder. So far everyone is getting along fine. Any suggestions? Will they be ok together?

Everyone will say something different but i have a very mixed flock and they all get along great! (& they were introduced at different times ... not all hatched together)
This is my gang :) i have a Silkie Showgirl, a Polish Tolbunt, 2 Serama's, an Olive Egger, a Peahen, a Marans & an Araucana.

Last edited:
Purchased Silkie hatching eggs from C.J. Silkies or C.J. Exotics 3 or 4 years ago. She has dropped out of sight. No email, web page is gone and have found no recent references. Does anyone know what happened or how to contact. I'm in the U.S. for a month and wanted to purchase hatching eggs. Found one source but would really like her input about ONE of the chicks hatched 3 years ago. Came from her BBS pen,, but maybe not? Thought I'd attach three photos. 4 day Baby, 1 month and 2 year+.
Looks like a silver partridge or I think they call that Gray...???

I know silkies are hard to sex until they crow or lay and egg sometimes but... I have 2 silkie chicks both hatched on Feb 28' th. They are both feathering in about the same until about a day ago. One is getting her hock feather (for lack of the correct word). The feathers that are at the bend of the knee. And the other not yet. From anyone's experience have you seen this and do the early hock feather developers usually turn out to be pullets or cockrel???? Any ideas or is it just the individual development of each chick and has not being to do with their sex??
Thanks

Help! My Silkie rooster won't stop crowing. He crows in the morning, at night, middle of the day and even at 3 a.m. He used to have a friend who turned out to be a boy and the two of them would crow non stop. So we sadly had to give him away and now we just have the one rooster. I know he shouldn't be alone so we are currently raising 5 little hens to be his new friends but they're still very young. Does he crow because he's alone? Bored? Hungry? Help! My neighbors probably want to kill me.

I think he's crowing more than normal being by himself, he is lonely.

I know silkies are hard to sex until they crow or lay and egg sometimes but... I have 2 silkie chicks both hatched on Feb 28' th. They are both feathering in about the same until about a day ago. One is getting her hock feather (for lack of the correct word). The feathers that are at the bend of the knee. And the other not yet. From anyone's experience have you seen this and do the early hock feather developers usually turn out to be pullets or cockrel???? Any ideas or is it just the individual development of each chick and has not being to do with their sex??
Thanks

Lol, wish it was that easy, no not a reliable sexing method. It all comes down to comb, wattle and shape of crest , ( ribbons ).

Thanks

Lol, wish it was that easy, no not a reliable sexing method. It all comes down to comb, wattle and shape of crest , ( ribbons ).

Lol thought do, thanks

Pollo_Loco- I just had a very similar chick hatch from my B/B/S pen. And I know absolutely, positively, 100% that's where it came from because all I breed are B/B/S. That's the funny thing about hidden genes, 2 birds carry them, get together and SURPRISE! There are some differences between our chicks though. Mine is more blue and doesn't have the well defined chipmunk stripes that yours does (I posted pics of it a page or two back). Is your girl (I assume its a hen, anyway) blue? Or black? My chick is only a couple of days old, but I can already see little partridge like feathers sprouting from its wing tips. Does yours show any penciling in its wings?
Whatever she is, she's lovely and I hope my little chick ends up looking half as pretty!

Probably won't be able to locate C.J. My question is what grouping should I seek that has the best chance of obtaining Silkies equal to the hen (Manches) above ?

My idea is to hatch an unrelated Rooster of the same type / color as Manches (above). Talked with a person From Blue Ridge Silkies and he a mentioned silver / grey. My opinion is w/o anyone knowing about the ancestry of Manches it an educated guess.

Below are photos of a Rooster (Tigre) that Manches hatched a little over a year ago. Not really looking for this color and is posted for information. Have two of these. No hens.

This is a preferable color. Name all my chickens. This is Toto Rooster and TuTu Hen, hatched from Manches eggs. The Rooster was very similar in Color to TuTu. edited: Toto sounds like Toe_Toe ,, TuTu sounds like two_two. Manches is the spanish word for stains. Tigre is spanish for tiger and sounds like Tea_grey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom