Silkie thread!

Ok so Breeding to White?
why is it bad and what does unpredictable mean?
I think I might want to breed my White Bantam Cochin Frizzle to my blue bantam cochin smooth Only because I chose White frizzle before I read Black would do better for breeding.

any ideas how ugly the babies might be?

It's not bad, unpredictable just means that it's almost impossible to guess the colour variations you might get from hatch to hatch. I'm sure your chicks will be gorgeous. :)

If not I will prob like them best
hu.gif
I havent developed an eye for standards yet but now that I think I found the 2 Breeds I like I am looking more into that.

Thanks for your kind words
big_smile.png

I've got a question about one of my silkies. It has a reddish brown round thing on it's forehead instead of a blackish comb like the others I have. Can anybody tell me what it is or why it's different from the others?

Here is a picture of her (atleast I think it's a girl )

The second picture is of the rest of them

Thanks for any help.
My landlord got some Silkies from TSC, because they just labeled them "bantams," and she wanted some bantams. Come to find out they are Silkies, but they do not have the feathered legs, and one looks like that with a red comb and light colored skin.

Is that a common hatchery thing or a breeding cross? Anyone know?

They are not desirable traits in the standard and most breeders will cull birds out that have them. Red comb is automatic disqualification in the show ring. In saying that , not everyone has any intention of entering the show ring. However I breed as close to the standard as I possibly can, because some of my clients want show birds .Anything that doesn't meet the standard is removed from the breeding pens.

are they all from the same parents or hatch?

Cuz I was under the impression that if the comb was not black it was a knock off. ?

Not necesarily, even purebred silkies can throw a straight comb chick or green skinned 4 toes etc . Some defects will be as a result of inbreeding or line breeding for too many generations. Chickens in general can be imperfect, just like humans doesn't make them useless, just different. If you are a hen nobody really cares so long as you lay eggs. Unfortunately if you are a roo it could mean the end for you. :rolleyes:

Ok thanks, Fancychooklady. How do you get barring in silkies? I have several with barring
You have to cross it with a bird that's barred- like a BarredRock- although I'm assuming it would be better to cross to another breed without a single comb, like perhaps a barred rosecomb, Dominique, etc.

Back
Top Bottom