Silkie thread!

I hatched out this crazy lookin partridge rooster. I am in love with the coloring. Unfortunately it's not going to improve my type, so he's either going too freezer camp or a new home.

I bought a new black Silkie 2 months old and kept her in my shower for her 1st month. My bonding time. Whenever I call her name she sings! Then I put her in a dog crate inside the Silkie coop, a 12x12 stall, and let them stay like that for a week. Then I opened door to her crate. I sat and watched. The rooster kept chasing her and pecking her. She would run back in her crate. Then I put rooster in time out and took him out of coop for a day, but right next to the coop full of Silkie's and let new little girl loose with all the other Silkie's and they didn't bother her. When I put rooster back in with the group he left her alone. I took her crate out and all are happy now. She is even sleeping with them all touching each other. I hate seeing any animal picked on!

I've got a question about one of my silkies. It has a reddish brown round thing on it's forehead instead of a blackish comb like the others I have. Can anybody tell me what it is or why it's different from the others?

Here is a picture of her (atleast I think it's a girl )

The second picture is of the rest of them

Thanks for any help.

The one with the (someone told me too lol) raspberry is a roo

Barring on the wings is quite common in partridge silkies.
This link may help.

http://www.norcalchickens.com/chicken-color-genetics.html
Ok. I'll check it out.
They actually have blue barring, not black. (It was dark outside. Lol.) But they look like white or buff on blue, so the barring is confusing me.
barnie.gif

ETA: The Barring Gene
Solid male x Barred female = 50% Barred males (one Barred gene) / 50% Solid females

so does this^ mean that all the barred will be males?

Last edited:
Is it actual barring you're seeing, or penciling? Partridge and barred are 2 different things entirely. Have you posted pictures of the bird(s) in question? Pictures may help clear up the confusion :)

Is it actual barring you're seeing, or penciling? Partridge and barred are 2 different things entirely. Have you posted pictures of the bird(s) in question? Pictures may help clear up the confusion
smile.png

It looks like barring to me. I'll post pics as soon as wifi returns to my device with the pics. My partridge rooster i'm thinking is maybe a mix silkie. He has no crest, but it looks almost like it got picked off. I think I posted a pic somewhere on this thread of one of the suspected barred chicks. I'll go look

Back
Top Bottom