Silkie thread!

My Buff Orpington roo, that is getting re-homed today, was brought inside this morning to not bother my neighbors with crowing. Couple hours later I heard crowing again. I think my silkie thought he could finally crow since the dominant male wasn't around. So sad. Here's updated pictures. Still couldn't tell by looks. Although, I was getting worried how his neck feathers seem to be more stringy.

My black silkie developed wry neck yesterday, probably injured by one of the Seramas. Her condition isn't great (Her head has to be constantly supported or she'll tuck her head in and do backflips). She's on selenium, vitamin E, and vitamin b complex. Not sure if she'll get better or not. Any helpful tips?

My black silkie developed wry neck yesterday, probably injured by one of the Seramas. Her condition isn't great (Her head has to be constantly supported or she'll tuck her head in and do backflips). She's on selenium, vitamin E, and vitamin b complex. Not sure if she'll get better or not. Any helpful tips?

My black silkie Ebony did the exact same thing over the weekend. I have been giving her vitamin E, electrolyte water and some squash and a little prednisone tablet. She will perk up and act fine for a while, but then I will find her with her head tucked under her. All I have to do is straighten it back out and she seems to be ok for a while. I have her in a cage in my bathroom so I can keep a closer eye on her, but from what I read it can take awhile to see real improvement. Don't give up, it sounds like you are doing some great treatments too. Let me know how she's doing from time to time. Good Luck with your girl.

My black silkie developed wry neck yesterday, probably injured by one of the Seramas. Her condition isn't great (Her head has to be constantly supported or she'll tuck her head in and do backflips). She's on selenium, vitamin E, and vitamin b complex. Not sure if she'll get better or not. Any helpful tips?

Look at her diet first. Too much corn in the diet can make the vitamin E inaccessible. I would only give a thiamine rich supplement and vitamin E at this stage. Prednisone is only required if there is swelling, and can be harmful if not administered correctly.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/CornAndSilkies.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/6837190/a/6916225/silkie-thread/sort/display_order/

sorry I can't post the actual pic right here. The link takes you directly to it, and others of him. And I have two chicks which look like the are developing barring like this guy's^

The pattern changes as they get older. Here are some examples of the barring in my partridge. Usually only occurs in the osprey feathers and to some extent in the tail ribbons.
Where as in the cuckoo it can be all over the body.

I have a quick question about Raven. I noticed this a few weeks ago, and then today when I was supervising their play time, I caught Raven again and inspected and this is still there:

It isn't raw, but its definitely a bare spot, and I'm just wondering what could be causing it. Do you think s/he is picking her own feathers out? My wife said maybe it's the way s/he sleeps, but I'm not so sure because they all dog pile, and s/he is the only one with a bare spot like this. S/he seems full of pep and I haven't noticed anyone particularly picking on her, so I'm hoping there's a different reason than that as well....

Any expert advice is appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom