Silkie thread!

The pattern changes as they get older. Here are some examples of the barring in my partridge. Usually only occurs in the osprey feathers and to some extent in the tail ribbons.
Where as in the cuckoo it can be all over the body.
Ok. Mine just have it on their wings and the older one has some on his tail feathers.
Lovely birds you've got!
I googled a pic of a partridge silkie rooster. Mine looks quite a bit darker.

I have a quick question about Raven. I noticed this a few weeks ago, and then today when I was supervising their play time, I caught Raven again and inspected and this is still there: It isn't raw, but its definitely a bare spot, and I'm just wondering what could be causing it. Do you think s/he is picking her own feathers out? My wife said maybe it's the way s/he sleeps, but I'm not so sure because they all dog pile, and s/he is the only one with a bare spot like this. S/he seems full of pep and I haven't noticed anyone particularly picking on her, so I'm hoping there's a different reason than that as well.... Any expert advice is appreciated. :)
What a cutie ! Feather loss can usually be narrowed down to a few things. Molting, lice and broodiness. They will in fact pluck out the feathers of their underside to ensure optimum heat transfer to the eggs. is there any swelling in the bald area ?

Ok. Mine just have it on their wings and the older one has some on his tail feathers.
Lovely birds you've got!
I googled a pic of a partridge silkie rooster. Mine looks quite a bit darker.

Thankyou, I've been working on these birds for 6 years and I am quite happy with them. Partridge silkies come in many shades and colours. As a rule of thumb what distinguishes them from say, buff or grey is the presence of black in the moorcap, osprey ( wing tips ) and tail area. Some of my reds with big crests appear to be lacking the moorcap but when you separate the feathers they are black to the skin and only red on the surface.

Nice! I am almost ashamed to sayit but when choosing colors for my Silkies I thought partridge would be boring. So I got Blue which is actually another word for Dark Grey. I do hope they have good personalities though. Yours are lovely. oops now i just turned green.
Hehe, never boring. I started with a little light partridge hen and Jaffa my red partridge roo. From that combination I've hatched many versions of partridge including red, silver , blue and grey.
Hjk

What a cutie ! Feather loss can usually be narrowed down to a few things. Molting, lice and broodiness. They will in fact pluck out the feathers of their underside to ensure optimum heat transfer to the eggs. is there any swelling in the bald area ?
Thank-you. She is definitely adorable and knows it hehe :D
There isn't any swelling that I can tell.

Last edited:
6 weeks now any opinions on Boy or Girl?

Buffy ( the one earilier in this thread shaking her head. She still does it mostly when she hears my voice
hu.gif
trying not to take offense
hit.gif

Sunshine. she is smaller than Buffy and doesnt like pics.

Baby Bear (she was haveing trouble at first too)
And

Chip chip (no she did not get up there alone
big_smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom