Silkie thread!

Quote: I let a silkie hatch some eggs last winter and she hatched 11 babies. I raised them and ended up with 11 boys and 1 girl lol. It happens sometimes sadly. Lucky 4-H families
smile.png

Nope, the chickens are whatever gender their chromosomes are. Temperature doesn't effect it.

The sex is pre-determined at conception but you're saying the hatching temp doesn't affect whether the girls develop and hatch more while not so many boys and vice versa if the temp goes the other way? A certain temp keeps less boys from hatching and another temp keeps less girls from hatching? It's a theory that crops up in blogs from time to time.

The sex is pre-determined at conception but you're saying the hatching temp doesn't affect whether the girls develop and hatch more while not so many boys and vice versa if the temp goes the other way?  A certain temp keeps less boys from hatching and another temp keeps less girls from hatching?  It's a theory that crops up in blogs from time to time.

I wasn't saying that per se, I've never heard that theory but it would be interesting to test out.

If they get TOO wet, you cAan always blow dry them. My silkies LOVE it. They will even let us lay them on their backs in a bundle of blankets, and make a nest, and then we just blow dry them on warm from about a foot away. they fall asleep even XD

All my chicken breeds love a warm blow-dry after a tush shampoo. One Silkie likes air through her feathers so much she taps on the floor fan to turn it on!

I wouldn't know, mine are completely undercover , it does however stop the possums from peeing in the feed.
smile.png
Yuk!! Thats good.

Just posting some of my babies. Love the looks of the last hatch for this year.
Cute, I love my Silkie chicks, and Adults.

Argh, I am sorry about so many boys! I am going to try and grow out the chicks I have hatched over the last few weeks, I will let you know if I end up with extra pullets. I wish there was an easier way to tell. I sold quite a few chicks to a couple families in our 4-H group - I don't think one of them ended up being a cockerel, I couldn't believe it!
Sounds like my luck, mostly all boys this year!!!!

I have several like that for sale....all cockerels though.

O darn!!! Awesome, you guys need to stop I don't need any more, but darn!!!! Hay do you sell and ship hatching eggs???? Wow I just cant get over how beautiful he is. If I only lived closer........ good thing I don't I guess....

All my chicken breeds love a warm blow-dry after a tush shampoo. One Silkie likes air through her feathers so much she taps on the floor fan to turn it on!
The noise don't scare them?

What's the best way to trim the feathers right around silkies eyes this is 5hem right after me buzzing them which works but broke my buzzers and got dust fluff everywhere

We use tiny scissors if necessary,..I'll hold head tight and still, only takes a second each eye...We make sure to have a treat waiting for her too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick rookie

The noise don't scare them?
HaHa! Apparently the noise doesn't bother our hens - especially the Silkie that taps with her beak for us to turn on the floor fan! She'll park herself just the way she likes in front of the breeze. Handling the hens for tush baths is one of our calmer chores with the hens. They stand or sit real still when the blowdryer is ruffling through their feathers and sometimes go to sleep. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom