Silkie thread!

From what I understand, Silkies are leary of elevated places due to their lack of flying ability. They also do not roost as most chickens do, and so far, the breeders I have spoken to, and viewed their coops online do not place roosts in their coops or runs for that reason. Ground nesters. Actually think that's pretty darn smart of them!

I don't have roosts for my Silkies but I have the coop raised enough for them to benefit from the shelter underneath the coop. They like the cool dirt for dust baths. I also like the coop off the ground to protect the wood. All our coops are raised because it can get muddy in this area when it rains so much. That means the Silkies have to go up in elevation slightly to get into the coop.

Can anyone help me determine what colors my new silkie/sizzle babies are? I'm new to silkies and I purchased these from a breeder who got the eggs from Kathy Leininger. She said they were Glenn Sees Lines? No idea what that means but she she told me they were lavender, porcelain, black, splash, blue cream, and denim. Problem is I don't know which ones are which ! LOL. Somebody please help this newbie !

GROUP

CHICK ONE

CHICK TWO

CHiCK THREE

CHICK FOUR

CHICK FIVE

CHICK SIX

Also, there are seven chicks total but I can't seem to find the pic of the seventh chick and they are all asleep now. OOps! Haha

I'd. Say blue , splash and white. :)

From what I understand, Silkies are leary of elevated places due to their lack of flying ability. They also do not roost as most chickens do, and so far, the breeders I have spoken to, and viewed their coops online do not place roosts in their coops or runs for that reason. Ground nesters. Actually think that's pretty darn smart of them!

Many breeds don't roost until they are older, I even have Sussex that prefer to huddle on the ground. Silkies are quite capable of climbing , one of my Roos climbs up the timber planks that are airing behind the shed. He roosts at a height of 7 feet. Old timber ladders make great roosts for silkies and if you are making a ramp it must have rungs added for them . It doesn't bother me whether or not they roost , but for their own welfare it much better if they do. :)

I just searched for a site, as I had never heard of these designer colors and was interested. I had no luck though. Sorry. OFCOURSE Lavendar, Porcelain and black are usual, but not heard of the others before you! Sweet looking babies though. Congrats! Let us know if you find out.
1f423.png

Why is it that I can't find any info on buff and partridge breeding? There are tons of charts on blackXblueXsplash
idunno.gif
Did you search BYC? I know there are specific threads for those colors, but I'm not sure if there are any breeding charts in there. You could also use the chicken calculator (a quick search on Google should turn it up).

If you find someone, let me know! I'm in FL and looking for a good silkie breeder (any colors)
Indigo Egg has a website and she's on BYC. I'd like to get some of her/their birds

Hi guys. Just wanted to jump in and add that Bobbi with indigo egg is awesome. I had some partridge chicks shipped all the way to California and they arrived in one day! She also gave me an extra. Check it out...I'm thinking pullet?

Back
Top Bottom