Silkie thread!

I posted this earluer didnt get respnse. I am new to chickens i got this buff silkie at an auction dont know age or gender. It was filthy so i bathed it. I am wondering is this normal to be bald under the wings. I also would love to knownif cockerel or hen

I posted this earluer didnt get respnse. I am new to chickens i got this buff silkie at an auction dont know age or gender. It was filthy so i bathed it. I am wondering is this normal to be bald under the wings. I also would love to knownif cockerel or hen

It's fairly normal. My Silkie chicks go through a terrible awkward phase where they look all bedraggled. Not knowing anything about its previous home, it could also be due to bad conditions or pecking. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As far as gender, your chick still looks to be quite young (at least from what I can see in the pic). Silkies are one of the hardest breeds to sex. You'll need to give it some time to mature and take some good full body and combs shots once it gets a bit older.

Good luck!

Silkies are awesome chickens! We just had all these silkie and silkie mixes with a frizzle and buff cochin bantam hatch the other day! The black and white chicks are from a different rooster and black hens that we don't know what kind they are. Can't wait to see what they will look like when they get bigger. All the hens are sharing the babies and raising them together like sister wives, crazy. Clyde our white silkie rooster won't leave their side and so far is a great dad

Back
Top Bottom