Silkie thread!

I know that it is virtually impossible to sex silkies, but I was just wondering if size or fluffy tails are any indication.  I have 10 babies that are 5 weeks old, some are larger then others and seem to have fuller tails.  They are all the same age.  Again, I know time will tell. I am just wanting to keep a few and don't need any more roosters...lol.  Thanks for any advise.
Do you have any pics? Sometimes even at little bitty chicks it's obvious that one is going to be a rooster. He stands a little taller, is bolder to you and the other chicks, etc.

More blue/splash babies. I hatched these in the Brinsea. 9 silkies and 2 showgirls.... this is too much fun :love They're 2-3 days old now & I think it's time to put them in a bigger brooder. Lets see how many I can hatch before hubby tells me to stop lol :D @Jeansrie
How cute are they!!
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
I turned my incubator off a couple months ago, just turned it back on yesterday - I'm having silkie baby withdrawals!

More blue/splash babies. I hatched these in the Brinsea. 9 silkies and 2 showgirls.... this is too much fun :love They're 2-3 days old now & I think it's time to put them in a bigger brooder. Lets see how many I can hatch before hubby tells me to stop lol :D @Jeansrie
PRECIOUS, PRECIOUS BABIES!!! They are just so CUTE!!! Congratulations!!!
1f497.png

I have four silkies and I need someone to explain to me have to tell the diffence between the rooster a hen. They are barhma and silkie mix

Last edited:
I have four silkies and I need someone to explain to me have to tell the diffence between the rooster a hen. They are barhma and silkie mix
A rooster is a male chicken, a hen is a female chicken. A pullet is a female chicken under 1 year, and a cockerel is a male chicken under 1 year of age.
A silkie cockerel will have a larger comb and larger wattles, his crest will be a little more slicked back typically, and his tail feathers will have more streamer like feathers in it.
For a brahma, the males will have pointier feathers and a distinctively redder comb usually.
Do you have pics? That would help a ton especially because they're mixed breeds.

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to watch them feather out
smile.png

@Jeansrie You wouldn't happen to have a nice dark skinned SG cockerel or a really nice silkie cockerel that you'd like to part with would you?

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to watch them feather out :)

@Jeansrie
You wouldn't happen to have a nice dark skinned SG cockerel or a really nice silkie cockerel that you'd like to part with would you?

I have a young splash silkie cockerel, he is about 8-10 weeks old; he's the last chick that hatched before I turned off the incubators :)so he's all I've got for now. I can get some pics if you're interested :)

Back
Top Bottom