Silkie thread!

No we just purchased hatching eggs. We plan to hatch the chicks ourself so we will have more of a selection. :)

That's what I wish I would've done... My relatives gave me 14 hatching eggs, but 6 are actually fertilized and in the incubator. I bought two roosters for future breeding, but can jot decide what color of hens to get... I am wondering if I show a trio, do they all have to be the same color?

That's what I wish I would've done... My relatives gave me 14 hatching eggs, but 6 are actually fertilized and in the incubator. I bought two roosters for future breeding, but can jot decide what color of hens to get... I am wondering if I show a trio, do they all have to be the same color?

I'm not sure either. This is our first year and we are still figuring things out. :)

Does anyone have any tips for showing silkies?

Pick your best birds out and handle them as much as possible. Learn to pick them up by sliding your hand (Palm up ) between their legs and gently lift. You want them to sit in the judges hand without flapping around. Get them acquainted with a bath and the hair dryer and always wipe the legs , feet and beak over with a little baby oil the morning of the show. Add a good poultry multi vitamin to the water in the days leading up to the show and they will be ' bright eyed and bushy tailed '. :)

Hello every one!! I was hoping for some silkie/chick expert help! this is Virginia a breeder friend gave her to me because I don't have to many chickens to keep the pasty butt clean. I treated her for any illness it could be and i have been keeping it clean but its like she has scabs around her butt even tho its clean.. I am just hoping someone will have some suggestions its been clean for one week and she is pooping normally so should i put something on her butt?? thank you

Must be the lighting in the pic, or my iPad. :)
From what your describing , sounds like blue partridge sneaking in. Look at the base of the fluffy crown , the base of the feathers should be black in partridge birds. :)

Yes, the pic wasn't great. I did see a blue partridge that reminded me of her but she does not have the black. Her feathers at the base look lavender. Maybe a lavender and buff mix? I don't know. She has started laying eggs, so perhaps her chicks will give me clues.

This is what I woke up to this morning... It was raining buckets and apparently my kitty wanted a warm spot. A couple of the chicks just plopped down on him and snuggled up.

Back
Top Bottom