Silkie thread!

BEAUTIFUL
welcome-byc.gif
And, yes, we think Silkies are one of the prettiest chicken breeds. Besides looks, they have so much more going for them too!

That's good. I've had very few life-altering boo-boos on my birds. Sometimes they'll clip a talon or scratch their face but they usually come out in tip-top shape. The only exception was poor Thunder.

The worst injury I had w/ a Silkie was our little Black Silkie. She is our littlest and she is OCD. She constantly scratches to lay an egg, to forage, to eat, etc. She scratches so hard that in the nestbox a couple years ago she splintered the bottom of the box and tore toenails and the ends of a her two outer toes. I took her to the vet and he said after treating her to not worry -- the injury was on the outer toe of each foot and not as critical as losing a back or inside toe. For nestboxes we no longer use wood but hard plastic or plexiglass bottoms. She still scratches hard in dirt but hasn't incurred any new injuries since we switched out the nestboxes. Even w/ partially missing toes she runs across the yard just as fast as the other chickens -- she is a very hyper personality and very OCD.

A PIC SHOWING ONLY 2 TOES ON ONE FOOT

A PIC SHOWING ONLY 2 FULL TOES ON THE OTHER FOOT

Hey guys....got a question...I've bought chicks in past...but just had one hatch today!! We are so excited...she's about 5 hours old now and not really moving like I think she should. She's a showgirl chick...I know this is a silkie thread....but ashes part silkie :)

Hey guys....got a question...I've bought chicks in past...but just had one hatch today!! We are so excited...she's about 5 hours old now and not really moving like I think she should. She's a showgirl chick...I know this is a silkie thread....but ashes part silkie
smile.png

They don't really move a whole lot for the first several hours in my experience. Mostly it's just a change of sleeping position. Usually they are more bright eyed the next day

They don't really move a whole lot for the first several hours in my experience. Mostly it's just a change of sleeping position. Usually they are more bright eyed the next day

Thank you!! I'm just concerned with its breeding...its daddy is a showgirl and momma...I'm thinking is a RIR/bantam mix. That's a lot of mixing of breeds for a chick...and I have tons of eggs in incubator coming soon. And the only rooster is a showgirl...and lots of mixes of momma hens. I'm just a worried chicken momma...and don't want nothin to be wrong :/

Back
Top Bottom