Silkie thread!

Thank you!! I'm just concerned with its breeding...its daddy is a showgirl and momma...I'm thinking is a RIR/bantam mix. That's a lot of mixing of breeds for a chick...and I have tons of eggs in incubator coming soon. And the only rooster is a showgirl...and lots of mixes of momma hens. I'm just a worried chicken momma...and don't want nothin to be wrong
hmm.png
As long as the parents are in good health and there is no major inbreeding, mixes are usually healthy unless there is something major wrong in the mix which would lead to embryonic death in most cases. I personally do not agree with mixing breeds like that... I believe in bettering a line. If you just want to hatch chicks I would purchase some from a local breeder.

Thank you!! I'm just concerned with its breeding...its daddy is a showgirl and momma...I'm thinking is a RIR/bantam mix. That's a lot of mixing of breeds for a chick...and I have tons of eggs in incubator coming soon. And the only rooster is a showgirl...and lots of mixes of momma hens. I'm just a worried chicken momma...and don't want nothin to be wrong
hmm.png
As long as all parents are healthy nothing should be majorly wrong with even the craziest of mixes, even if there are they mostly die during development. I personally do not believe in mixing breeds unless it is for a purpose, I would rather better a line of birds. If you are just wanting to hatch some eggs look for some local breeders.

Last edited:
As long as all parents are healthy nothing should be majorly wrong with even the craziest of mixes, even if there are they mostly die during development. I personally do not believe in mixing breeds unless it is for a purpose, I would rather better a line of birds. If you are just wanting to hatch some eggs look for some local breeders.

Thank you. And I do believe that way too. All of them are my babies and very well taken care of. I've just never hatched before. And I really just have 3 hens that aren't either showgirl or silkie. I was reading posts about embryo deaths and what not and got concerned. The baby is fluffy and very lively this morning, as well as all night because I stayed up and watched her lol having hubby going to build whole other coop for my showgirlies :)

Thank you. And I do believe that way too. All of them are my babies and very well taken care of. I've just never hatched before. And I really just have 3 hens that aren't either showgirl or silkie. I was reading posts about embryo deaths and what not and got concerned. The baby is fluffy and very lively this morning, as well as all night because I stayed up and watched her lol having hubby going to build whole other coop for my showgirlies
smile.png

That's great.

I did a search and couldnt seem to find a silkie thread so i thought i would start one... I am getting a pretty good show quality silkie on friday.

Here is one of my old silkie hens. (i believe she was either partridge or silver...) R.I.P.
ChickPicks548.jpg

ChickPicks547.jpg

ChickPicks545.jpg

Hopefully i will have better luck with my new white silkie. I am hoping  she really is good quality because i plan on showing her..

This is what she is going to looks like: (its a horrible pic and no she doesnt have red skin)
Whitesilk.jpg

Now lets see your silkies!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom