Silkie thread!

Hi!!! I'm so happy I found this thread, I just got my first two silkies. They imeadiatly stole my heart:love:drool:loveIt amazed me how Silkie they really are:lau:eek:Is there any Silkie-specific tips or info I should know?

Congratulations!
Tip #1 - pics are a must!
How old are they? What colours? Do you know what sex they are? Do you want to keep them as pets and tame them?

I only have two young Silkies, so I don't know anything about keeping them with other breeds. I keep mine as pets and handle them every day. They're friendly and get pretty tame after a while. They've started eating seeds and other treats from my hand. Mine follow me along the sides of their pen when I'm nearby, and they're learning to cluck like big chickens instead of peeping. I'm fairly sure mine are hens, but Silkies are hard to sex and the best way to tell is if they crow or lay eggs. However, there are a few experienced breeders here who know more about sexing them than I do.

Looking forward to hearing more about your new Silkies!

Hi! I'm a chicken newbie and just hatched these guys about a week and a half ago. The breeder told me they are light partridge but I've also seen pictures of chicks identified as blue partridges that seem to have the same coloring. The three babies on the top have chipmunk stripes but the fourth one only has one faint stripe down the middle. Sorry for the poor picture but I'm hoping to get opinions on what color they are and some photos of what they may look like when they're older. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    472.4 KB · Views: 8
Congratulations!
Tip #1 - pics are a must!
How old are they? What colours? Do you know what sex they are? Do you want to keep them as pets and tame them?

I only have two young Silkies, so I don't know anything about keeping them with other breeds. I keep mine as pets and handle them every day. They're friendly and get pretty tame after a while. They've started eating seeds and other treats from my hand. Mine follow me along the sides of their pen when I'm nearby, and they're learning to cluck like big chickens instead of peeping. I'm fairly sure mine are hens, but Silkies are hard to sex and the best way to tell is if they crow or lay eggs. However, there are a few experienced breeders here who know more about sexing them than I do.

Looking forward to hearing more about your new Silkies!

I'll get some pictures!!! They are pullets and just started laying little tiny eggs. Mine are definitely pets and already very tame. They are both black.

Slowly she's been adapting to her new home. This morning we brought her in, cleaned her up, combed her and now she's singing contently on Ashley's lap. She's drinking and eating. We are so thankful for this website and all the advice you wonderful folks have out there.
IMG_20170907_091543712.jpg

Slowly she's been adapting to her new home. This morning we brought her in, cleaned her up, combed her and now she's singing contently on Ashley's lap. She's drinking and eating. We are so thankful for this website and all the advice you wonderful folks have out there. View attachment 1130710

She's so cute! I have a younger white one who's almost as pouffy. I'm glad she's eating and drinking and settling in. I'll have to try combing mine to see how they react.

Hi! I'm a chicken newbie and just hatched these guys about a week and a half ago. The breeder told me they are light partridge but I've also seen pictures of chicks identified as blue partridges that seem to have the same coloring. The three babies on the top have chipmunk stripes but the fourth one only has one faint stripe down the middle. Sorry for the poor picture but I'm hoping to get opinions on what color they are and some photos of what they may look like when they're older. Thanks!

I have a blue partridge I hatched and she didn't have a hint of blue or grey in her baby down. I would be curious to see if yours are cause my regular partridge were brown with the chipmunk stripe.

Ok friends! I know it's early but thought I'd give this a whirl! I have 4 - 6wk old, very PQ Silkies. I've really began noticing some behaviors in the last few days - thought I'd share some pics and what I've witnessed and see if anyone wants to throw out a guess!
(I have my own guesses but I'm dying to see what y'all think!)

Chick #1 (kinda stumped... pushy, one of the first to the food and to scatter it, loves to perch and hang w/#2 - although, they do plenty of chest bumpin')
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG

Chick #2 (Almost postitive a roo. Pushy, first to food, loves to perch, my homely lil' thing! I gotta love him cuz I'm afraid no one else will!)
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1233.JPG
IMG_1237.JPG

Chick #3 "Popcorn" (VERY docile, the last one to the food, would much rather nestle in and get comfy than perch) Chicks 3 & 4 are always together.
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG

Chick #4 (docile, not doesn't care to perch much and is one of the last to the food - *excuse its wet crest)
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG

Thanks so much for lookin'!

Back
Top Bottom