Silkie thread!

I need to narrow down my silkies :/ I had to dust everyone last night since I found a couple lice and realized that I have WAY more chickens than I thought. Most breeds are trios or quads but I have 7 blues, 1 splash and a show girl. I need to cut that back (though I am still figuring out who's a boy and who's a girl). What are some things that I should use to narrow down the group? I know 5 toes, correct comb, and keep the smaller ones, but any other suggestions?

I need to narrow down my silkies :/ I had to dust everyone last night since I found a couple lice and realized that I have WAY more chickens than I thought. Most breeds are trios or quads but I have 7 blues, 1 splash and a show girl. I need to cut that back (though I am still figuring out who's a boy and who's a girl). What are some things that I should use to narrow down the group? I know 5 toes, correct comb, and keep the smaller ones, but any other suggestions?
Full feathering on feet, blue lobes, tight wings, short backs, dark eyes, coloring, balanced appearance, overall fluffiness. It is also important to breed towards health

@NW Chickadee how is your chick doing?
I found some Nutri-drench locally, ran out to grab some and when I got home s/he had sadly died. The other 3 that I bought are doing great.

I called the breeder last-night, she was very apologetic and said all of her other chicks are doing fine and she suspected it was just too much stress on the baby. As a side note, I got them home Tuesday afternoon and that little one chirped for hours & hours! I tested the temp, gently dipped its beak in the water (with electrolytes) every few hours, but it chirped & chirped like a puppy cries being away from its mama.

She offered to replace it so I'll be in touch. She has a few babies scheduled to hatch on Sunday.

Is it possible it was just super attached to mama hen and chirping so loudly and for long just took a lot out of her?

NNychick - Thank you so much for your help! Im really feeling like a let the sweet little chick down some how. :(

I found some Nutri-drench locally, ran out to grab some and when I got home s/he had sadly died. The other 3 that I bought are doing great.

I called the breeder last-night, she was very apologetic and said all of her other chicks are doing fine and she suspected it was just too much stress on the baby. As a side note, I got them home Tuesday afternoon and that little one chirped for hours & hours! I tested the temp, gently dipped its beak in the water (with electrolytes) every few hours, but it chirped & chirped like a puppy cries being away from its mama.

She offered to replace it so I'll be in touch. She has a few babies scheduled to hatch on Sunday.

Is it possible it was just super attached to mama hen and chirping so loudly and for long just took a lot out of her?

NNychick - Thank you so much for your help! Im really feeling like a let the sweet little chick down some how. :(
I am sorry about your little chick, it is not your fault they are delicate. I have not raised chicks yet, but I was suspecting the same as the breeder. Just stressed from the trip a lot of things could have happened that you had no control over, that is why I suggested nutri-drench to start with I have heard it gives a good boost fast to perk up weak chicks. I would keep an eye on the others too for awhile just to be sure and if it was anything else you can catch the symptoms early.

My chicks are 4 weeks old now and starting to develop their personality. I think one is a roo and one is a pullet but could be wrong still to young to know for sure.
IMG_20170913_113824401.jpg

Last edited:

I'm sorry to hear about your chick as well. I'm wondering if the peeping meant it was in pain or distress? I lost one of mine and it was older, maybe 10 weeks. Same thing, became lethargic one evening, watery poop and died overnight. My other two are fine.

Don't feel guilty. They go so fast it's hard to get to treat them on time. Their resistance is still low, and sometimes they're born with a genetic defect that makes them weaker. Even though you do your best, sometimes they get into something that makes them sick. Now it's good that you have some Nutridrench on hand in case any others get sick. I've learned to keep some Save A Chick electrolyte powder on hand, as well as Kaytee Exact hand feeding powder mix for young chicks (I raise diamond doves and sometimes a chick needs a supplementary feed).

It's nice that your breeder is giving you another chick. I'm guessing it will do fine along with your other babies.

I'm just wondering, how prominent should a Silkie's keel (breast) bone be? I know in general on a bird the keel bone can be used to give an idea if the bird is at a proper weight. The only previous experience I've had with a bird of similar size was my (obese) African Grey parrot. On my Silkies the bone seems to stick out a lot more. Their crops are always full with food, and they always have access to food. They seem to be growing pretty well, too.

Second question: their crests are growing in and their eyes are almost covered. There are still quite a few new feathers growing in their crests and the rest of their bodies. Should I be trimming their crests so they can see? Or is it better to: a) leave them alone, b) wait until the new feathers are finished growing in (they're in, but still in the sheaths).

I'm sorry to hear about your chick as well. I'm wondering if the peeping meant it was in pain or distress? I lost one of mine and it was older, maybe 10 weeks. Same thing, became lethargic one evening, watery poop and died overnight. My other two are fine.

Don't feel guilty. They go so fast it's hard to get to treat them on time. Their resistance is still low, and sometimes they're born with a genetic defect that makes them weaker. Even though you do your best, sometimes they get into something that makes them sick. Now it's good that you have some Nutridrench on hand in case any others get sick. I've learned to keep some Save A Chick electrolyte powder on hand, as well as Kaytee Exact hand feeding powder mix for young chicks (I raise diamond doves and sometimes a chick needs a supplementary feed).

It's nice that your breeder is giving you another chick. I'm guessing it will do fine along with your other babies.
@NNYchick and @FirstTimeClucky - Thank you both for your help and concern. I'm so happy that I've found BYC and people like you! I use the Save-A-Chick-Electrolytes, will def keep the Nutridrench on-hand and I think I'll pick up some Kaytee Exact so that I've got a nice little 'chick emergency' kit on hand. I have no doubt I'll need it at some point!

FirstTimeClucky, I'm SO sorry that you lost a chick, and at 10wks :(.... Do you have any idea what caused It? Hope your others are doing well. Thanks again for everything!

Back
Top Bottom