Silkie thread!

I am curious on how to breed our silkies
We are still a ways off.
I get the bbs breeding in other birds. Well sort of.
But in silkies how do you get paint, porcelain or gray?
Also I have seen paints with oranges blues and black how ?
And why are blues so define in other breeds but I see a silkie that blue in front and back haves black and there called blue.
So if I wanted to breed for show keep colors separate but I want more paints with the tri color.

Thanks Scott

Well a tri colored paint is a black paint with leakage so try breeding a paint to a partridge or buff. A true show quality blue is an even color throughout. A nice blue involves culling anything uneven like the dark rears and light fronts or very light under feathers. As for porcelains and gray, I don't know much about those.

Hi Scott I did a lot of research this summer and that is when I realized I do not know nearly enough about chicken genetics to breed. But what I did learn with paint is an isolated gene found by a breeder named Judy Lee, her and a group of Silkie breeders have been working many years on paints and are actually In the process of getting them recognized by ABA standards next month in Knoxville. There is a thread on here if you google Judy Lee paint Silkies it will bring you to the tread that starts off with how Judy came upon the paint Silkie and what they have doing to improve paints. There is also a group (that includes original breeders) on FB - Paint Silkie Breeders And Education. Also Silkie Breeder Chit Chat & Education. Both of these groups are great and full of a lot of useful information for breeding to standard. I have found the members on these two groups very helpful and knowledgeable to help with questions about breeding for standard and color.
I believe the tri color Silkie you are referring to is a project color some people also referred to as calico(looks like a calico cat) I have read where this was actually a blue splash with heavy gold leakage that the women is selectively breeding to produce that tri color.

Oh maybe I’m think of a something different than tri color then. The tri color silkies I was think of are from a breeder that calls them calico. I think on Facebook she had a page called designer Silkie by Briana she says she got hers from splash with red leakage

Yes you are right @NNYchick. I bought eggs from her before. I have a showgirl splash rooster with leakage and want to play around with him to make calico. Project colors are pretty neat I think and a challenge. You do t want to lose confirmation when breeding for colors too.

It's a good day when you get rid of 8 roosters(could have used some to breed but didn't feel like messing with them). Not very good for the guy that was supposed to slaughter them though because as soon as I went to lift the crate out of my vehicle the bottom fell out and they are currently running around in his yard until dark. Oh well, they were free. :idunno

Oh maybe I’m think of a something different than tri color then. The tri color silkies I was think of are from a breeder that calls them calico. I think on Facebook she had a page called designer Silkie by Briana she says she got hers from splash with red leakage
I actually may have referred to them wrong. I was referring to this look. sometimes other colors show up.
silkie.jpg

Thanks Scott

My husband is certain that I have lost my mind. :lau Last week I was at the stove checking my new thermometer for the incubator with boiling water. He comes over ask what I’m making(hoping for candy or fudge) I explain I’m checking that my thermometer is calibrated before putting in incubator. His comment was I’ve never seen anyone actually checking their thermometer, well I guess it’s a chicken thing honey. Then yesterday he came out to the coop because I was making so much racket. I was hanging Christmas lights up, now as the days get shorter it is dark when I go to work and when I get home so I want to be able check on them with out flashlight. He looks at me suspiciously - as long as your not decorating the coop for the holidays. I think he is still suspicious that I’m decorating the coop. But he is going to put a led light strip in there for me. I guess I better get the nest box curtains up while he’s at work today. Had to share my story as only other chicken people can understand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom