Silkie thread!

Love them! They are so pretty maybe you can answer a few questions about my silkies. I am so glad to have found this forum. My husband and I just recently got 13 red hens and 2 silkies pair. Male and female. I'm pretty sure we also have a Roo in the mixed of the reds. They have been doing very well asjusting to their new home. When we first got them home the reds really picked on my Silkies, to the point I was really concerned for their saftey. So we figured we would build them there own little pen inside our main pen. Since Saturday my silkie (her name is Wilma and Fred is thr roo) has gave me 7 eggs so far. I have left them in there as we want to hatchsome. Will she eventually sit on them?Shes 8 months old, is she too young yet? They say that silkies are a great cuddler and like to be pet, not my silkies, everytime we go into the pen they go bananas. Is this normal? We are new to this and would love any insight you can give me. I know she may not go broody so how lonf should i keep the eggs in the nest for?View attachment 1392518 View attachment 1392519
Your silkie will brood in her own time. You can't make her sit on the eggs.
So no matter how long you leave them there she won't sit on them, might as well take them out. Also silkies are.cuddlers if handeled from chicks. If they have not been handled up to the point you got them it will be tough to tame her to the point of handling. I still have two silkie hens that don't like being handled but the weren't handled much when I got them. Keep trying perhaps they will warm up to you eventually.

Your silkie will brood in her own time. You can't make her sit on the eggs.
So no matter how long you leave them there she won't sit on them, might as well take them out. Also silkies are.cuddlers if handeled from chicks. If they have not been handled up to the point you got them it will be tough to tame her to the point of handling. I still have two silkie hens that don't like being handled but the weren't handled much when I got them. Keep trying perhaps they will warm up to you eventually.
So what your saying is she's not broody right now so to take them out. I was under the impression that they need to make a clutch before they decide to sit.

yep it looks like a baby penguin just needed a bath the egg stuff didn't dry right
20180519_154248.jpg

Since my kids will be showing our birds, I need to figure out how to best keep their foot feathers clean and unbroken. I have a dirt floor in my run currently. I am going to roof it this summer to keep it dry in the winter, and prevent sun faded/discolored feathers. I am also going to put washed sand in there (unless you tell me otherwise). My waterer is the drinking cups. They need to be replaced as they are dripping now. That will help too. Any other suggestions for keeping feet in good condition?

Sand is abrasive on the feathers. So is dirt. Since I let mine have an outdoor run as well, I have to put down a lot of straw or shavings to keep good foot feathers. That won't stop a determined digger.

I think most who show keep their birds inside and on shavings.

I sold some beautiful chicks to my cousin in Cottageville So Carolina this weekend. They were very happy with them. He bought some for a friend of his also. They have made some great pens out of pallets. I was impressed. I still have some chicks for sale if anyone else is interested.

Sand is abrasive on the feathers. So is dirt. Since I let mine have an outdoor run as well, I have to put down a lot of straw or shavings to keep good foot feathers. That won't stop a determined digger.

I think most who show keep their birds inside and on shavings.
That is what I was wondering. Inside isn't really an option right now. :-/.

Back
Top Bottom