Silkie thread!

My large fowl don't even recognize my Silkies as chickens. I think, Silkies tend to believe that they are more like alien mini-peacocks, and therefore need some of their own "kind" to hang with.
gig.gif
I'm sure there are probably some breeders in your area right here on BYC. Have you posted a "wanted" ad in the Buy-Sell-Trade section?? If you just want a pet quality buddy for Nugget, you could probably find one near you for free, or very cheaply priced. Either that, or you could get yourself an incubator and start hatching your own babies with shipped eggs. BEWARE!! Hatching eggs is VERY ADDICTIVE!!! Ask me how I know....
th.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
alien mini-peacocks!!!
lau.gif

So bummed! I was just sitting and watching my Silkie babies and I noticed my only blue chick is developing crossbeak!
hit.gif

I am assuming that it just gets worse with time?
hu.gif

It's my DS favorite, so I am hoping it doesn't get too bad.
I would keep it as a pet if it can eat and drink ok, but not use it for breeding if I ever get to that point.
AWWW, poor little chickie! I have no idea about that, have not enough chicken experience to know, but soory for your baby. i thought they were born with that, I didn't know it could develop...
sad.png

So bummed! I was just sitting and watching my Silkie babies and I noticed my only blue chick is developing crossbeak!
hit.gif

I am assuming that it just gets worse with time?
hu.gif

It's my DS favorite, so I am hoping it doesn't get too bad.
I would keep it as a pet if it can eat and drink ok, but not use it for breeding if I ever get to that point.

Oh no... I haven't encountered that yet. Hope to hear from those with more experience. Sorry KMH.
sad.png

I have these two beautiful white silkie cockerels from show quality lines - 5 months old and very sweet. Can someone take them? I'm in Sebastopol. wish I could post a pic, but email me at [email protected] and I will send you some.

You can actually see them in my profile pic - they are inseparable - sleep cuddled up at night. They really need a happy home!

Last edited:
are these silkie's and polish bearded or not and do they look ok a guy said they don't look the same as his mine are 4 weeks

I have caught the silkie bug. I currently have 3, 2 partridge and 1 blue. I have fallen so in love with these little darlings that I am hatching some eggs from Golden Egg Farm. I have a fondness for the white ones. I lost 2 whites recently to some kind of predator. I was thinking that I would raise whatever I am able to hatch and maybe keep 4 or 5, but now I am thinking that I will keep them all. If I wanted to start a breeding program (my daughter wants to show them), what is the best color for roosters if I want to raise white, black, and blue?
Also, does anyone know where I'd be able to find a breeding chart showing what color parents will produce certain colored chicks?

Quote: I am pretty sure he/she was born with it. It just wasn't very apparent until now.

I just had to deal with 4 with crossbeak; 2 Silkies and 2 lavender Ameraucanas. It is probably genetic when it isn't evident at hatch. Crossbeak usually doesn't start to show for a couple of weeks. In my experience, the earlier it starts to show, the faster it will progress. One of the lavender Ameraucanas, for example, starting showing signs at 1 week and was completely displaced by 3 weeks. The lavender Silkie wasn't too bad even at 9 weeks. The White Silkie's upper beak rotated almost completely sideways in 9 weeks and her lower beak was "off" as well. She was already spending most of her time living in the feed bowl because eating was such a challenge for her and I had to feed her out of a big open dog food bowl instead of a regular chicken feeder.

Back
Top Bottom