silkie x ?

jbolt

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Wittmann az
Hi anyone have any ideas on breed/sex? Vaulted skull, feathered legs, black skin, extra. Toes. Help me on this one.....

Last edited:
Haha!!!

No not complex at all. Buff laced are gold laceds with dominant white added*. That's it. Must be the shortest answer I've ever given!
gig.gif

The reason the crosses are mostly white is because black is dominant so what you did was a black chicken bred with a colored chicken. Normally the chicks would have come out black/mostly black except the DW from the buff laced changed the black to white.

*DW does not suppress red/gold pigments very well.. that's why buff laced is possible. DW was only able to suppress the black lacing part but not the gold centers.

OK not so short answer anymore! I need to work at this...
roll.png

Solid black is a problem in silkies- have to actively breed against color leaking on necks. This problem is made worse by the fact the males will show the leakage while their genetically identical sisters seem solid black.. so if you breed those girls, they will throw leaky sons.... tricky, genes are!

There isnt really a single gene for solid black chicken. There are two common genes that make chickens mostly black. Both of them need helper genes to fill in the colored areas with more black pigment until all color is gone.

That's also why it's so common for black bred to colored throw chics that start black but eventually acquire color as they mature like on black sex links which are RIR(colored) over BR(solid black, ignoring the barring). The chicks are black because the black from BR is dominant. However the RIR are lacking genes that help fill in the colored areas into black.. so the cross chicks are genetically "black, but lacking the necessary genes to help fill in the brown areas to black".

A lot of solid black chickens are actually birchen but you'd never know because they have those helper genes that filled in the birchen areas into black.

Suspect silkie crossed with leghorn only because leghorns are very common and that coloring is very typical of white leghorn crossed with a colored chicken.

Back
Top Bottom