Silkie???

hu.gif

I have 10 LF birds. 1 roo, 6 hens and 3 pullets and 2 eggs due to hatch next week from my broody. I will be getting 4 two day old silkie chicks to put under her when the other 2 eggs hatch. Many people have bantams and LF together. I am prepared to house them separately if needed(I think that is the key, being prepared for the worst).

I'm not completely sure because I'm new at this, but I'm pretty sure that you could keep them together. That's what I'm gonna do when I get my chicks in April, but all of the breeds that I'm getting are docile. It probably depends on what breeds you're getting.

I had a humongous Welsummer that was three times the size of my blue silkie. The Welsummer treated that Silkie like it was glass. She would step lightly around it, not peck at it, nestle with it, cuddle with it, etc. If you have **nice** friendly hens that aren't prone to displays of arrogance in regard to pecking order - there's no reason why you can't have Silkies with them.

I would suggest that you have at least two Silkies in with your flock though, because Silkies like to sleep huddled in a fluffy pile in bedding instead of roosting to sleep, so it would be nice for her to have a friend to sleep with.

Thanks!!! I have 1 Buff orpington,1 RIR,and 3 Barred rocks they are very nice birds when they get done with the pecking order thing
hmm.png
I guess if I were to get some in the future I would have to watch them closely until they are all established.

Back
Top Bottom