Silkie that keeps on sneezing

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So i have a young grey silkie chick which is around 9 weeks old now. For the last 10 days or so she has been sneezing regularly with bubbles in the eye area (significantly reduced now).

10 days ago as soon as i noticed its behaivour i immediately isolated it from the rest of the flock and started applying VetRx to nostrils, comb and under wings once a day along with adding it to the drinking water.

In the last 10 days the bubbles have gone down and are barely noticable but the sneezing continues. Apart from that behaivour seems to be normal and chick is still isolated.

The other flock members are doing OK as well, however, 2 other hatch mates both silkies also seem to be sneezing frequently but no water or bubbles in eyes. The remain with the rest of the hatch mates (3 aseel gamefowl, 2 ko shamo gamefowl which seem to be unaffected by the sneezing)

Any tips on how to proceed with the situation as i cant keep the grey silkie chick isolated forever. Do i start some kind of antibiotics or other medicine ?

Last edited:
So i have a young grey silkie chick which is around 9 weeks old now. For the last 10 days or so she has been sneezing regularly with bubbles in the eye area (significantly reduced now).

10 days ago as soon as i noticed its behaivour i immediately isolated it from the rest of the flock and started applying VetRx to nostrils, comb and under wings once a day along with adding it to the drinking water.

In the last 10 days the bubbles have gone down and are barely noticable but the sneezing continues. Apart from that behaivour seems to be normal and chick is still isolated.

The other flock members are doing OK as well, however, 2 other hatch mates both silkies also seem to be sneezing frequently but no water or bubbles in eyes. The remain with the rest of the hatch mates (3 aseel gamefowl, 2 ko shamo gamefowl which seem to be unaffected by the sneezing)

Any tips on how to proceed with the situation as i cant keep the grey silkie chick isolated forever. Do i start some kind of antibiotics or other medicine ?
There can be something called Mycoplasma that causes bubbles in chickens eyes, but also comes with other symptoms, and you're saying just sneezing in a few, sneezing and bubbles in the other. Have you changed something like what you use for bedding or feed lately or do you live near farmers who are harvesting crops? We have that, and silkies who I try to keep in the coop on harvest days.

If nothing environmental, then it could be a respiratory infection. You said the bubbles are almost gone, so it sounds like that particular chicken is getting rid of it. If you can get antibiotics from a vet, I would just in case. Otherwise, I'd give vitamin water every other day, keep up the VetRx, and do Oregano, or Oregano oil. They can be mixed in food, and some put the oil in water but it floats so not sure how that works. It's a natural, very, very low-level antibiotic.

Good luck! I hope they get better!

Thanks. Not near farmers, although i did move the chicks in a larger enclosed shed with a few other full size birds so there was a change in environment. They are still caged separately though.

One thing i dont get is why only the silkie chicks were affected and not the gamefowl ? I assume silkies are not as hardy as normal chickens, and ofcourse gamefowl which are at the top

Back
Top Bottom