Silkied Serama

I keep toying with the idea of getting a bantam breed just for pets and tiny eggs. I'm not generally a fan of the more extreme posture of seramas, but some of these little guys are absolutely adorable. I may have to take a second look at them if I ever do decide to take the plunge into the world of tiny chickens!

Yeah, I'm really excited about having a nice rooster. My current one is an OEGB. Ugh. I was turned off by the extreme posture the first time I saw some, but after looking at some nicer ones I quite like the proud stance. When their heads look like they are sinking into their backs, though, that's just weird looking.

I just got some of these a week ago its a young pair that we have named chestnut and pearl. I know nothing about the breed and any info you could share would be helpful. I am interested in knowing there laying ages and breeding info too please. I got them for my daughter who would like to make more of them and potentially breed with a frizzle. What do you all think?

ty for the link i am trying to get pics of my serama's the frizzles i have are still rather young. I will share pics of them to waiting for battery on camra to charge.

These are my silky seramas and the two frizzles i am thinking about breeding them with later when frizzles mature. what ya think?

Cute! Love the last picture. You can breed frizzle to silkie, silkie to smooth, frizzle to silkie split, anything you want EXCEPT frizzle to frizzle. That creates curlies, also called frazzleds (that's too confusing for me, because it starts with an 'f' just like frizzle) who have brittle, sparse feathering.

silkied x silkied = 100% silkie

smooth x smooth = 100% smooth

frizzle x frizzle = 25% curlies (bad bad bad) 50% frizzle 25% smooth

frizzle x smooth= 50% frizzle 50% smooth

frizzle x silkied = 50% frizzle silkie splits 50% smooth silkie splits

frizzle silkie split x silkie = 25% frizzle silkie split 25% frizzle silkie 25% smooth silkie splits 25% silkie

ok so breeding with my silky seramas means a 50/50 for me? trying to make sure i get this right. would breeding these two change the size of the egg. should i do the serama rooster with frizzle hen because of the possibility? wow dose one question turn into more with this lol

Okay.. so: The frizzle gene is F. ff is a normal, or smooth, bird. Ff is a frizzle. FF is a curlie, or a frazzled. The silkied gene is h. hh is a silkied, HH is a smooth, Hh is a silkie split, and apears smooth.

F f
f Ff ff
f Ff ff

So, the parent's genes are on the top and the left side. The babies' genotypes (the genes they have) are inside. This would be a frizzle x smooth mating.

Now, a silkie x frizzle mating

F H f H
f h Ff Hh ff Hh
f h Ff Hh ff Hh

Each parent contributes one of its alleles for each trait (F, f, H and h represent the individual allelles) to the offspring. So, a frizzled silkie split could give either FH, Fh, fH, or fh to their offspring. These squares can get BIG.

Back
Top Bottom