CedarCreekFarmhouse

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2023
Hi, I'm Crystal. This is my first post on the Backyard Chickens board, but I've been lurking for about a year. I cannot tell you guys how much you have taught me. We got our first little gals in September and I have raised them with the knowledge and help this forum has provided.

I just wanted to jump on and tell you guys a funny (yet horrifying) little story about my morning. I run a small business and I have to be up at the wee hours of the morning to work with peers overseas. For the past two days I have stumbled out of bed, right to the Keurig, popped in the cup and made my way over to my desk. For two mornings now the first words out of my mouth has been, "This coffee taste funny..."

Could not for the life of me figure it out. This morning (on the last sip cup of weirdly flavored coffee) I nearly spit out my coffee all of the keyboard when I realized the culprit.

I guess everyone here is familiar with chicken water with added vitamins and minerals to keep the little guys healthy. I use a commercial brand instead of making my own (kind of wish now that I had made my own). I mix it up at night with spring water and store it on the bottom shelf in the pantry the night before so that it is well mixed and room temperature. This is something my teenage daughter was unaware of.

I knew it tasted more 'herby' than it should. Ingredients look all natural, for the most part, but if I start laying eggs I might jump on here for more advice, lol.

And I guess it wouldn't be a proper hello, without showing a few photos of my favorite chicks. I started with Silkies in September then learned about Seramas and had to have two (I'm guessing chicken math starts early in the hobby because I'm struggling with it hard already).

This is Sonny and Cher (couldn't help it, child of the 90s) and Sonny is just so sunny and cheerful. Hopefully I have named them appropriately, I know nothing about sexing chicks. They're a month old today and I'm thinking we've got a roo and a pullet. They are going through their awkward feathering phase, but I think they're going to be beautiful pets.

Sonny and Cher 1.jpeg

Sonny and Cher 2.jpeg

Sonny and Cher 3.jpeg

That is a hilarious and terrifying story🤣. Beautiful birds as well, you're going to love serama! I agree with your sexing guesses, you've got a pair🥰
I have fallen so hard for these little birds, I have never met more friendly chickens. So being completely new, I may ask a really stupid question here. I got these from someone local who hatched them for me (I got them when they were hours old). I am guessing they are related. Should they be separated when they are fully mature? In other words, I should never let her hatch anything, right?

I have fallen so hard for these little birds, I have never met more friendly chickens. So being completely new, I may ask a really stupid question here. I got these from someone local who hatched them for me (I got them when they were hours old). I am guessing they are related. Should they be separated when they are fully mature? In other words, I should never let her hatch anything, right?

They are amazing little birds. The only friendliest breed I've ever owned are aseel, but those are gamefowl. As for them breeding, no you don't have to. Birds are not like mammals. You can go quite a few generations of breeding related birds. After some time you might come across some fertility issues, but that's quite a bit into the future

They are amazing little birds. The only friendliest breed I've ever owned are aseel, but those are gamefowl. As for them breeding, no you don't have to. Birds are not like mammals. You can go quite a few generations of breeding related birds. After some time you might come across some fertility issues, but that's quite a bit into the future
That's so exciting! I was planning to research it further, so I really appreciate the quick response! They are so bonded already that it would have been hard for me to separate them.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Very funny story! :lol: We definitely want to know if you start laying eggs. ;)

Your babies are adorable! :love Thanks for sharing them. :) As @fluffycrow mentioned, you can breed for many generations before you start your see genetic trouble, generally after 6 generations of offspring you technically could start to develop genetic issues. But 6 generations is a long time, so you may never have to worry.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Hi, I'm Crystal. This is my first post on the Backyard Chickens board, but I've been lurking for about a year. I cannot tell you guys how much you have taught me. We got our first little gals in September and I have raised them with the knowledge and help this forum has provided.

I just wanted to jump on and tell you guys a funny (yet horrifying) little story about my morning. I run a small business and I have to be up at the wee hours of the morning to work with peers overseas. For the past two days I have stumbled out of bed, right to the Keurig, popped in the cup and made my way over to my desk. For two mornings now the first words out of my mouth has been, "This coffee taste funny..."

Could not for the life of me figure it out. This morning (on the last sip cup of weirdly flavored coffee) I nearly spit out my coffee all of the keyboard when I realized the culprit.

I guess everyone here is familiar with chicken water with added vitamins and minerals to keep the little guys healthy. I use a commercial brand instead of making my own (kind of wish now that I had made my own). I mix it up at night with spring water and store it on the bottom shelf in the pantry the night before so that it is well mixed and room temperature. This is something my teenage daughter was unaware of.

I knew it tasted more 'herby' than it should. Ingredients look all natural, for the most part, but if I start laying eggs I might jump on here for more advice, lol.

And I guess it wouldn't be a proper hello, without showing a few photos of my favorite chicks. I started with Silkies in September then learned about Seramas and had to have two (I'm guessing chicken math starts early in the hobby because I'm struggling with it hard already).

This is Sonny and Cher (couldn't help it, child of the 90s) and Sonny is just so sunny and cheerful. Hopefully I have named them appropriately, I know nothing about sexing chicks. They're a month old today and I'm thinking we've got a roo and a pullet. They are going through their awkward feathering phase, but I think they're going to be beautiful pets.

View attachment 3678387

View attachment 3678389

View attachment 3678390
Oh my goodness what a hilarious story! :lau Your little ones are so adorable! Thanks for sharing photos. :love

Back
Top Bottom