Silkies-are the roosters loud?

annette'spets

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
vero beach, Fl.
My friend, who has 120 chickens of different breeds, said I could have six,young silkie roosters she is keeping separated in a small pen.
I have a great place for them,perfect, but wondered if they crow loud. She said not really and not often. Just wanted more input before I make a mistake. Don't mind some crowing but not so much it can be heard like a regular rooster.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't have silkies, but do have a few bantam roosters - MF cochins, a mottled cochin, silver laced cochins and a RIR.

All have "smaller?", "softer?" or "quieter?" - (not sure which is the best description
hu.gif
) crows than my large fowl - orpingtons and EEs.

Yes. They crow as much as the big boys do. They have a different pitch and is not as loud as the full size boys, but it is very close in volume. You definitely know that they are there. Some of mine are quieter than others, but I have mostly decided it comes down to who is the rooster in charge. The lead guy always crows the most and the loudest it seems.

"loud" is a relative term. I would not take someone's word with 120 chickens as to what is loud or not, LOL.
lau.gif

I have silkies, and some are shrill and piercing and crow a lot. Some are quiet and don't crow that much. The chance of six rejects being quiet and not crowing much, about zero!
lol.png

Thank you all for replies. That's about what I thought, MAYBE SOFTER, but..... roosters love to crow to each other .As cute as they are I'm going to have to pass. Promised my husband no more roosters, even small ones. We have 23 hens and one great Barred Rock rooster -he is quiet and doesn't crow much at all.Guess he stays too busy!

Back
Top Bottom