Silkies Of A Different Color

I thought I'd share a couple of photos of my 13 week old chick I hatched from another breeder's buff eggs. Up until yesterday I thought it was a she, but I spotted streamers today so perhaps it is a boy. Appears to be a blue partridge/buff/red mix, but I am not certain.

Trying for mottled :) 2nd gen

...this is mr.troubles...he is 7 wks old , his mom is a mini bantam cochin frizzleand his dad is a naked neck bowtie showgirl silkie, , mr.troubes was born with a crown and a small beard, yes that's right, born with it! he also started crwing yesterday, I could not believe my ears or eyes, is this a rare thing? I never seen one born with a crown much less crow at 7 wks old..anyone else ever expience this?

My silkies and showgirls are often hatched with both crest and beard. When I have a few in this room with me, I've had them (have one now) who start crowing at 18 days. The first of these I heard, I thought it was in distress, because it sounds like a strangled squeak. If they're not in the room with me, I don't hear this early crow until much, much later. After you've heard it once, it is unmistakeable.

Back
Top Bottom