Silkies ridden with chicken lice

Kaelinstorm

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Lampasas
Ok Im at a loss. Ive used Mite and Lice protector and also DE. I cannot seem to lower the amount of lice on my chickens. I have four that are riddled with their eggs and I can see the critters on their butts. I dont know if I can afford to go get all of them treated with Ivomec. I need help! Am I supposed to be putting the DE in their food too? Because Ive used it in their bedding (fresh of course) and directly on the birds. Nothing working! They dont seem to be having much of a problem with the lice yet I just see egg clutches ALL over their little necks. It looks like snowflakes all over. Im worried about when all those little buggers start hatching out. Any advice on where to go from here?

check for a generic version of ivomec, in the meantime, bathe them in flea shampoo, that is a good start- i found the generic icomec for $15 at the feed store- my first experience with lice was a silky and i doused him in cooking oil then bathed him in dawn- he was infested... hope that helps-

You can dust them and their living quarters with DE and also hook them up with a clean spot for dust bathing. It suffocates the mites.
good luck.

what worked for me on my Silkies was this: first i washed them in flee and tick shampoo, then let them soak in "poultry Protector" (the sever infestation soaking instructions are on the bottle).
after that I used a blow dryer to dry them off. ten I took SEVEN dusting powder and coated them well in that.
I repeated the dust in 5 days, and I have not seen any more since.
I too use DE in coop and run and spray poultry protector on and in coop once a week.

Best Wishes,
Laura

Spray the coop with Malathion. The lice hide in the cracks and crevices until dark.

Buy a bottle of injectable cattle ivomectrin. Use a needle and syringe to pull the ivomectrin up, then take the needle off. One drop down the throat of each bird with kill all worms and lice. It does a GREAT JOB and will last a long time.

You need to identify the parasite first and then treat. For lice use vegetable grade Sevin works great. For northern fowl mites Sevin works great and put Kerosene on the roosts with a paint brush. Or spray the whole house or do what I do I bug bomb the chicken house (remove chickens). I am not a big fan of systemic treatments.

Last edited:
DE will not work. I have used it for a year and still will have lice on occasion. Dust with Seven. Clean out your coop. All bedding including the nesting boxes. You can spray with Seven spray just make sure to close the coop up til it dries. Seven works. I only use DE to keep the coop dry. Am thinking of switching to Stall Dry as it is cheaper. Also Poultry Protector just washes them off. Does not kill them

Last edited:
what i have found works best is ivomec pour on, using it like frontline, and bathing them in adams flea shampoo- the stall dry works well for drying - i sprinkle it when cleaning the coop- stall dry is de mixed with clay i think- it does hep amonia etc- and doing the coop, roosts, nestboxes is very important too, spring and fall routinely helps

Back
Top Bottom