Silkies: skinny, runny poop, deworming?

I do have a kitchen scale, so I can set it up outside and just weigh/dose/toss outside. :)

Thank you! Do you dose 50mg/kg once or do you dose once, redose in 10 days, or, for example, do you go 3-5 days as per the manual (is that Plumbs? XD)?

And, THANK YOU!! Really appreciate the help!

Last edited:
I do have a kitchen scale, so I can set it up outside and just weigh/dose/toss outside. :)

Thank you! Do you dose 50mg/kg once or do you dose once, redose in 10 days, or, for example, do you go 3-5 days as per the manual (is that Plumbs? XD)?

And, THANK YOU!! Really appreciate the help!
Sorry, I do it once then again in 10 days, but I might change that once I do some research on treating for capillary worms. And yes, that is from Plumb's.

Plumb's is my main reference, but I have also used this:
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

It's from here:
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam.html
Download the entire book (two volumes): Clinical Avian Medicine
(Large file - please allow several moments to download)

While I'm at it, you might also like these:
Another two book set:
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/chapters.html

Penn State Poultry Health Handbook
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/agrs52.pdf

-Kathy

Just wanted to update you guys!

They chickens are still thin. :| Not sure why, but their poops have been solid since they were wormed. They may just need some time to gain some weight on from the worm load, maybe? The got their second dose not long ago and no problems dosing anyone. Lately their stool has been runny but everyone has been super hot lately. :( Probably due to the triple digits approaching us this weekend (yuk).

Anyway, I posted later about help with lameness. Since I have dewormed everyone, I have had no further symptoms of lethargy and tenderness in the leg.
idunno.gif
I went ahead and picked up Corid last time I was in, just in case.

I had them on flock raiser for the extra protein but I don't want to zap their kidneys. I just picked up a new bag of non-medicated starter since nobody is laying yet. Anything else I can do to help with putting weight back on? They get treats, fresh veggies and sometimes fruit. I usually throw out a few handfuls of seed or scratch to give them something to hunt for in the morning before it get too warm.

We're out here, sometimes people just read about the problem and don't post. Even though it was very relevant to the problem ther're having helped them out while they were having the same problem

Just wanted to update you guys!

They chickens are still thin. :| Not sure why, but their poops have been solid since they were wormed. They may just need some time to gain some weight on from the worm load, maybe? The got their second dose not long ago and no problems dosing anyone. Lately their stool has been runny but everyone has been super hot lately. :( Probably due to the triple digits approaching us this weekend (yuk).

Anyway, I posted later about help with lameness. Since I have dewormed everyone, I have had no further symptoms of lethargy and tenderness in the leg.
idunno.gif
I went ahead and picked up Corid last time I was in, just in case.

I had them on flock raiser for the extra protein but I don't want to zap their kidneys. I just picked up a new bag of non-medicated starter since nobody is laying yet. Anything else I can do to help with putting weight back on? They get treats, fresh veggies and sometimes fruit. I usually throw out a few handfuls of seed or scratch to give them something to hunt for in the morning before it get too warm.
How are things going now?

They are good, Still on non-medicated feed and still a bit thin. I am beginning to think it may just be the silkies. I have since raised another batch of bantam and LF sized Polish who all have good body weight, even while going through a molt right not as they transition from teenagers. Some of my buff silkies have decent weight on them but it could be due to genetics of whatever they were mixed with to produce the color? I have seen separated out two of the super thin ones as they turned into cockerels and they get their own tub. Still are a bit thin and gangly. They all still get mealies, fruits, veg, and plenty of crumbles.

Their poops have been fine, so no more liquid like before. Still no blood or unusual behavior. I have a silkie inside right now that may have broken something that I am nurturing back to outside status in a healing pen until she can walk a bit better. Nothing usual, and everyone is good. I even have a mystery pullet laying now. I still have wormer and corid on hand, so I am just continuing what I am doing as long as everyone seems happy and mobile. I may pick up some animal protein at the store, either game bird feed or game fish feed to offer. I've noticed better appetite on the unmedicated feed so it could have just been a bad case of cocci zap or worm load that set them behind.

idunno.gif

I am very scared my chicken Elvis at 1 year has worms as well I have grown very close to her and we have no aves vets please I'm begging you if you have any re emendations please tell me I don't know if this matters but she is also a female black silkie just like you said no muscle along the wing and I can feel along the keel bone very well please help me :fl

Back
Top Bottom