Chicken deworming

Honeybee3

Hatching
May 3, 2024
Hello all,
I’m posting from the south of uk.
I have a few questions related to deworming chickens using Flubendazole 1% ( a powder I believe)

I brought a chicken (Appenzeller Spitzhauben) inside today after noticing movement in her droppings. Like a pinworm looking thing. I’ve brought her inside and ordered some Flubendazole 1%, it should be here in a couple days.

However now I’m thinking of treating all 6 chickens ( all about 1 year 9 months old) since I have noticed another chicken that since 4 days ago started taking naps (perfectly fine otherwise just thought that might be a symptom of worms).

I’m not sure how this works though as I’ve never done it before.

Do I treat them all outside in their run area? would the chicken poo already on the ground lead to immediate reinfection and make the treatment pointless? It’s quite a large area they roam but I will go through the tedious process of picking up all the chicken poo if it means it’ll help them get better.

Also when treating I assumed not to eat the eggs. How long after they finish treatment can you consume the eggs again? And also can I feed the eggs to the chickens rather than throwing them away or is that a bad idea?

Also the chicken I have inside hasn’t really eaten much since I brought her in. So i’m just wondering what’s the protocol if she won’t eat the treatment mixed in the pellets. She’s not completely disinterested so could just be not hungry but if she isn’t eating much what should I do? Can I mix the treatment with water and syringe it into her mouth? Or is there another treatment for this type of situation?

Also if there’s any other advice or treatments you recommend please tell me.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Back
Top Bottom