Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Aw he's so cute! :eek::love
Thank you. This is him now.
Resized_20190828_143444.jpeg
He is losing the buff on his chest now. This is an older picture.

Thank you. This is him now.View attachment 1946438 He is losing the buff on his chest now. This is an older picture.
He also has a beautiful face for sure. Still I'd shave that as we have raptors from the upper 48 here all winter, sure that is my issue. Thank you for the photo share.

I have to re-shave my silkie heads again this week due to the inbound raptors. That is the major thing I do not like living where I live outside of the scorpions. The 8 additional species of hawks that migrate down here for winter are a concern. The Harris hawks are the most worrisome when you see them paired up and hunting over your property. We do keep the wild bird feeders full to serve as a distraction during the season.

I hope my Silkies do well with the raptor threat this year as this will be our first "winter" with Silkies. The Sumatra are bulletproof and the feral hen as well I just worry about these guys.

Last edited:
@AllenK RGV By raptors, do you mean predator birds? Or is there an actual species referred to as raptor? Sorry you have all the hunters in winter
Well we gain 8 species of hawks and harriers overwinter, but yes birds of prey. I can copy and paste a birder checklist as needed.

They cover 3 main types, fortunately one the "Osprey" only eats fish and I don't keep those.

Here is the copy/paste: Also this list skips the road side Hawks we have but they are year round residents and a non issue for chicken even though they have tried. The Caracara's usually are just after roadkill. The reason this is on my mind is there is a major cold front hitting the upper 48 this week.

Attachments

• hawks.jpg
    hawks.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 3
  • birding_checklist.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom