Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
So today, out of 10 eggs with 3 broodies... I tossed 3 clears. Hatch day will be the 19th and 20th.

This is Bill(Cull Bill), as you can see he has at least two major silkie detractors(Feathering, and his deformed beak). However, he is the cockerel with the nicest disposition and I have two in the breeding pen at present with 12 hens. As you can see he has some issues eating, but at 7.5 months of age gets an adequate diet. He has the best ears, comb, coloration and generally other Silkie features of all of my cockerels. The other cockerel in the pen has a nice color comb, pure silkie feathering and an ugly big fat engourged tick like comb and questionable ears.

Should I do anything to trim that beak to ensure he eats better or just go the if it ain't broke/don't fix route? He was artificially incubated so potentially that is the cause of his deformity?

One final note: My silkies all get their heads shaved due to the increased raptor threat in winter usually in summer as well. I can't imagine going through life with a FOV of less than 5 degrees. Next time I post silkie pictures of Bill I should probably traumatize him with a bath so people can see his true colors. The earmuffs, and side beards also get shaved down to a goatee for increased vision.

How exciting, I hope you get a really good hatch! :)

Good luck with your breeding boys! I get really frustrated trying to pick cockerels/roosters to put with my girls as well, they are great in some areas and not so great in others. It's rough trying to weigh the pros and cons. I hope your boys work out well and give you some nice chicks!

I've just got a new shed put up which will house three metal breeding/show preparation cages! I can't wait to get them, they'll also occasionally be used for broodies.

I'll be keeping the male in one, my whites in another and partridges in another too. My other colours like my blues and golds will be kept in the large permanent coop together.

Sorry the photo is dark and blurred I'll try and get a clearer one in daylight but here's my drawing of Tiramisu so far.

Thought you guys might like to see it since it's Silkie related, still loads to do on it though!

IMG_1771.JPG

Sorry the photo is dark and blurred I'll try and get a clearer one in daylight but here's my drawing of Tiramisu so far.

Thought you guys might like to see it since it's Silkie related, still loads to do on it though!

View attachment 1983263

Your drawing of tiramisu is just gorgeous, I can't wait to see it finished, thank you for sharing it! :love

Good luck with your 10 eggs as well! :)

Back
Top Bottom