Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Aww look at those little cuties! :love

I have seen white chick down vary quite a bit in color. Your little ones are probably all going to be white. I don't breed recessive white (which is what most white silkies are) so someone else who does breed them may be able to answer better.

I have paint silkies and some of their chicks turn out white (with paint the white is dominant white rather than recessive). These are both white chicks from paint parents. As you can see they definitely have different colored down. In this case the down color is different because the little greyish chick has the silver gene vs the other who probably only has the gold gene. Silver gene whites often have a bit of a brighter/crisper white when grown. Your little greyish chick could possibly be getting that grey color from having the silver gene. :)

(Sorry for the poor lighting in the picture).

View attachment 2040688
Little punkins! They always look so sweet sleeping like that, lol. It's neat learning about these different color genes and how they work! Not that I mind white at all, but I was excited thinking I'd have variety this time, then I saw those white feathers feathers peeking out! Lol, I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for some more, there's always room for one more chicken! I bet your paints are just beautiful! I can see yours have fluffier heads than these I find at the feed store! It's almost like 2 different breeds when I see the good quality ones compared to the hatchery ones!

Little punkins! They always look so sweet sleeping like that, lol. It's neat learning about these different color genes and how they work! Not that I mind white at all, but I was excited thinking I'd have variety this time, then I saw those white feathers feathers peeking out! Lol, I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for some more, there's always room for one more chicken! I bet your paints are just beautiful! I can see yours have fluffier heads than these I find at the feed store! It's almost like 2 different breeds when I see the good quality ones compared to the hatchery ones!

I would have been excited about maybe getting some variations in color if I had picked those little cuties up too! Buff and white can look especially similar before they start getting their feathers. :lol:

I hope you are able to find some other different colored ones to add some variety! :)

The hatchery ones really do look like nearly another breed sometimes! I've seen some from hatcheries turn out much more to the silkie standard than you'd expect as well so you never know!

I think both of the little ones in my picture have vaults which definitely does make their heads look fluffier. I actually prefer non vaulted like your babies since their little brains are better protected. I've seen a lot of good breeders say if bred well their heads can turn out quite fluffy even when they don't have vaults. :)

I would have been excited about maybe getting some variations in color if I had picked those little cuties up too! Buff and white can look especially similar before they start getting their feathers. :lol:

I hope you are able to find some other different colored ones to add some variety! :)

The hatchery ones really do look like nearly another breed sometimes! I've seen some from hatcheries turn out much more to the silkie standard than you'd expect as well so you never know!

I think both of the little ones in my picture have vaults which definitely does make their heads look fluffier. I actually prefer non vaulted like your babies since their little brains are better protected. I've seen a lot of good breeders say if bred well their heads can turn out quite fluffy even when they don't have vaults. :)
I'd never heard of the vaulted heads! Always learning something new here! Hopefully at least one if these little babies will be a hen and decide to be a broody mama. Then I can experiment and really mix it up out in the coop!

I've finished my latest drawing...'The Owl' :celebrate

It's my first time ever drawing in a realistic style and I can't wait to get it mounted and framed!

Photos of it aren't great due to the lighting, some edited in black and white because I thought it looked pretty.

It took me roughly 25-30 hours!

All drawn freehand on Earthbound Recycled paper and coloured with Faber-Castell colour pencils. Finished off with white paint highlights.

View attachment 1922545
View attachment 1922548
View attachment 1922547
View attachment 1922543
View attachment 1922544
View attachment 1922541

'The Owl' is based on one of my own photographs I took earlier this year of an Ashy Faced Owl.

View attachment 1922555

Wondering how this is Silkie related? I'm drawing one next! I just can't decide which one to draw...:confused:

I may put a thread out asking for people to post their Silkies and I might draw someone else's rather than my own!
That is simply gorgeous! It's amazing what can be done with good quality colored pencils. Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom