Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Well, it's hard to know which eggs are from which hens. I know they are all laying because they're all in the nesting boxes but I'm not sure if maybe my splash started laying now and just thought she was earlier or not. She is the only one that could've been new.

Hmmm yeah I'd be a little curious why the colors are so different now too then. I guess ratios and what they like to throw can be confusing sometimes though! :lol:

I got my first ever silkie recently!!! She’s so lovely... her name is Quinn. In one of the pictures she’s with her sister (apparently a barred rock/lavender orpington cross, my brother named her “Silkis” because he thought he was getting another silkie.)
I was supposed to be getting 2 silkies, but the last one in their stock turned out to be a late-blooming rooster.
I actually got them awhile ago, but these pictures are more recent. I love them both so much <33
E3D853DC-3BEB-4DA3-B918-3380A9BCD843.jpeg 65F89BBA-1A0F-406F-9A9C-3CF4C4CC5521.jpeg

I got my first ever silkie recently!!! She’s so lovely... her name is Quinn. In one of the pictures she’s with her sister (apparently a barred rock/lavender orpington cross, my brother named her “Silkis” because he thought he was getting another silkie.)
I was supposed to be getting 2 silkies, but the last one in their stock turned out to be a late-blooming rooster.
I actually got them awhile ago, but these pictures are more recent. I love them both so much <33
View attachment 2596538View attachment 2596539

Aww Quinn is a cutie! Her sister Silkis is really pretty too! 🥰

So none of the replacement eggs are developing DAY 4, I will wait until DAY 7 to toss. I have given up on shipped eggs.:th
Imari is now also showing slipped wing on top of the single comb. He is a little sweetie, but I do not think I will use him for breeding. Even though I hatched him from a breeder's eggs, I suspect he is hatchery stock.
Only one left is my paint egg (out of 59 shipped eggs total) here day 13, looking good. Hope it is a paint or dominant white and not just plain old black.
Of my own birds, I am still not getting any development from two of the silkie girls. I honestly do not think my cockerel is mating with them. Even I separated them for 3 weeks, nothing.
Zelda (the white hen) just started laying. I have seen him mate with her. She is one of his favorites, so I expect her eggs will be fertile again. Luckily, most people around here seem to prefer the white silkies.
So I must say this has been a good lesson for me, that I can not control everything, and have to let it go. Still disheartening, though.

So none of the replacement eggs are developing DAY 4, I will wait until DAY 7 to toss. I have given up on shipped eggs.:th
Imari is now also showing slipped wing on top of the single comb. He is a little sweetie, but I do not think I will use him for breeding. Even though I hatched him from a breeder's eggs, I suspect he is hatchery stock.
Only one left is my paint egg (out of 59 shipped eggs total) here day 13, looking good. Hope it is a paint or dominant white and not just plain old black.
Of my own birds, I am still not getting any development from two of the silkie girls. I honestly do not think my cockerel is mating with them. Even I separated them for 3 weeks, nothing.
Zelda (the white hen) just started laying. I have seen him mate with her. She is one of his favorites, so I expect her eggs will be fertile again. Luckily, most people around here seem to prefer the white silkies.
So I must say this has been a good lesson for me, that I can not control everything, and have to let it go. Still disheartening, though.

Oh no I am so sorry about the shipped eggs! :(:hugs

It's really too bad little Imari may be hatchery stock as well. I've got a couple single combs I've kept and quite a few slipped winged ones but they had enough other nice traits to make them worth working with. It's tough when you are bringing in new stock through hatching eggs, even coming from really good breeders they'll often have faults. I am much pickier with the ones I hatch from my flock as I can always hatch more from the same pair and pick the best. If I had the funds I might approach things differently though.

I so hope your little paint egg makes it (and is paint or dominant white)!!! :fl

Do any local breeders have paint? If not and your little paint doesn't make it maybe I can help out with paint eggs when I get my NPIP certification (if you are interested). I'm hoping to get it this year or next. If shipping to Hawaii isn't terribly complicated/expensive I'd be happy to send some free of charge to give you another shot at maybe getting some paints. :)

I hope your cockerel starts mating with the other girls too! In your place I'd be tempted to AI now I've seen how easy it is. :oops: :lol:

8 developing eggs in the incubator at day 11! Thinking about setting some more, if I can borrow my friend's incubator!

Ooh how exciting!!! :D

My eggs that are the farthest along are on day 13 today (5 of them). I've got 6 more that are up to a week younger as well that all show nice development so far. I'm glad I have multiple incubators so I can dedicate one for hatching with this staggered hatch! :lol:
Hatched Easter Friday! Only 1 out of 11 were fertile!!! .. I was hoping for a partridge but this chick looks just grey but does have yellowish lighter bits on head so not sure if that will just turn into plain grey allover?
View attachment 2597186

Aww what a cute chick! 🥰

Too bad only 1 out of 11 were fertile, good thing it has a mama so it won't be lonely though! I don't think I've seen one with down like that before....I'm really curious about how it'll feather in! :)

Back
Top Bottom