Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Wow really!? I was thinking to get some frizzles, so it's best not to then? so how do you breed frizzles then if you can't breed them with eachother?
Frizzle is a feather type, not a breed. Most common are Cochins. Polish is common, too.
You would have to breed a frizzled bird with a non frizzled bird. 50% of the offspring would be frizzled. It is a dominant gene. One copy gives a frizzle, two copies a frazzle.🙂

Except that Frizzle is also a breed. The feather type has just been bred into other breeds as well.

APA recognizes both large fowl and bantam varieties.

20220915_162331.jpg

Wow really!? I was thinking to get some frizzles, so it's best not to then? so how do you breed frizzles then if you can't breed them with eachother?
Right now I only have one frizzle hen. If I want to try for chicks I would not use Curly's eggs. I didn't know frazzles were a possibility when Larry hatched. He is not as pretty as his father, but he has spirit.

Hey silkie keepers!
I'm looking for photos of show quality birds for the BYC article I am writing on chicken quality. Does anybody have a picture of a really nice bird they'd like to share? You will get credit, of course!
I will also need a photo of a hatchery (poor quality) silkie for comparison.
Yes, I had silkies at one point (though I don't anymore :() but didn't take good photos that looking back now I can see would have been helpful :D

My son wants some silkies for our flock. How would i find a breeder near me? I dont want tractor supply chicks.

We are near Denver. South side. Littleton. Parker. Franktown. Highlands ranch. Elizabeth. Kiowa - colorado.
You can try Facebook groups for your area...typically chicken or poultry groups and just search for silkie then.
Had to share this. These little nuggets are SO fluffy. 🥰View attachment 3261485
OMGeeze they are sooooooo adorable!!!

Here are some new babies that just hatched here. The two little black/dark chicks I believe will be cuckoo/barred (which is kind of fun as it is a color I haven't had before in silkies or satins). ☺️

chicks 9-16-22.jpg

Hey silkie keepers!
I'm looking for photos of show quality birds for the BYC article I am writing on chicken quality. Does anybody have a picture of a really nice bird they'd like to share? You will get credit, of course!
I will also need a photo of a hatchery (poor quality) silkie for comparison.
Yes, I had silkies at one point (though I don't anymore :() but didn't take good photos that looking back now I can see would have been helpful :D

There are some people here with some gorgeous silkies who maybe will be able to help better but here are some pictures I've taken of some of my birds that weren't terrible. I'm not sure I'd say show quality but definitely nice quality. If any of the pictures are useful please feel free to use them. ☺️

Paint 1.jpg

Paint 2.jpg

Dark blue.jpg

Blue.jpg

Oh and this one is a bearded splash silkie from cackle hatchery you can use for hatchery quality if you don't find a better example. She might not be the greatest example of hatchery quality though as most of the hatchery silkies I've had in the past that I picked up from feed stores weren't as fluffy and full crested and also were usually non bearded. Unfortunately I never got any pictures of those ones when I had them. 😕

Splash.JPG

Had to share this. These little nuggets are SO fluffy. 🥰View attachment 3261485

Oh goodness they really are! What adorable little ones! 😍

Here are some new babies that just hatched here. The two little black/dark chicks I believe will be cuckoo/barred (which is kind of fun as it is a color I haven't had before in silkies or satins). ☺️

View attachment 3261632
Oh they are so adorable!!! Do I see NN there too!?! Are these babies from the new roo?!

View attachment 3261632

There are some people here with some gorgeous silkies who maybe will be able to help better but here are some pictures I've taken of some of my birds that weren't terrible. I'm not sure I'd say show quality but definitely nice quality. If any of the pictures are useful please feel free to use them. ☺️

View attachment 3261633

View attachment 3261634

View attachment 3261635

View attachment 3261636

Oh and this one is a bearded splash silkie from cackle hatchery you can use for hatchery quality if you don't find a better example. She might not be the greatest example of hatchery quality though as most of the hatchery silkies I've had in the past that I picked up from feed stores weren't as fluffy and full crested and also were usually non bearded. Unfortunately I never got any pictures of those ones when I had them. 😕

View attachment 3261637

Oh goodness they really are! What adorable little ones! 😍
Excellent photos! I love the one with the purple flowers in the background.
Your birds are so gorgeous! 😍😍😍
I may have to convince you to send me some eggs sometime!🤣
Congrats on your new chicks! They are just darling.😍 I do see a little showgirl in there too!

Back
Top Bottom