Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 795 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Here are some new babies that just hatched here. The two little black/dark chicks I believe will be cuckoo/barred (which is kind of fun as it is a color I haven't had before in silkies or satins). ☺️

View attachment 3261632

There are some people here with some gorgeous silkies who maybe will be able to help better but here are some pictures I've taken of some of my birds that weren't terrible. I'm not sure I'd say show quality but definitely nice quality. If any of the pictures are useful please feel free to use them. ☺️

View attachment 3261633

View attachment 3261634

View attachment 3261635

View attachment 3261636

Oh and this one is a bearded splash silkie from cackle hatchery you can use for hatchery quality if you don't find a better example. She might not be the greatest example of hatchery quality though as most of the hatchery silkies I've had in the past that I picked up from feed stores weren't as fluffy and full crested and also were usually non bearded. Unfortunately I never got any pictures of those ones when I had them. 😕

View attachment 3261637

Oh goodness they really are! What adorable little ones! 😍
Goodness, so fluffy and cute! I love your colors so much! :love

Those will work great! I think I'll use the hatchery splash and one of your beautiful paints. I know the colors are different, but they are similar. Thank you so much @LynnaePB!

Hey silkie keepers!
I'm looking for photos of show quality birds for the BYC article I am writing on chicken quality. Does anybody have a picture of a really nice bird they'd like to share? You will get credit, of course!
I will also need a photo of a hatchery (poor quality) silkie for comparison.
Yes, I had silkies at one point (though I don't anymore :() but didn't take good photos that looking back now I can see would have been helpful :D
Welcome back!❤️

Hard to say if I have “show quality“ birds as we have no shows here in Hawaii but I have the ones that I think are nice enough to use for breeding. I did have one hatchery quality pullet that I turned around and sold again as I did not find her up to snuff for my standards anyway. 😊

A few “breeder” quality hens:
8E0DD522-F63E-4FAA-AFE6-647527EB433F.jpeg
A386D7C1-C057-4A7B-B71E-A1C22E0DAA87.jpeg

Hatchery stock
465159B7-7388-4BF4-A5CA-28B473109254.jpeg

Welcome back!❤️

Hard to say if I have “show quality“ birds as we have no shows here in Hawaii but I have the ones that I think are nice enough to use for breeding. I did have one hatchery quality pullet that I turned around and sold again as I did not find her up to snuff for my standards anyway. 😊

View attachment 3261888View attachment 3261887

Hatchery stockView attachment 3261890
Thank you @LadiesAndJane! Aww man, they're all so cute! I miss my silkies!

Oh they are so adorable!!! Do I see NN there too!?! Are these babies from the new roo?!

Thank you! The lightest chick is a little Nn. 😁 And yep these are the babies from the new boy, I've got another 16 developing nicely in the incubator as well. I'm hoping for around 15-20 or so from him to grow out. ☺️

Goodness, so fluffy and cute! I love your colors so much! :love

Those will work great! I think I'll use the hatchery splash and one of your beautiful paints. I know the colors are different, but they are similar. Thank you so much @LynnaePB!

Thank you! And you are very welcome! ☺️
Excellent photos! I love the one with the purple flowers in the background.
Your birds are so gorgeous! 😍😍😍
I may have to convince you to send me some eggs sometime!🤣
Congrats on your new chicks! They are just darling.😍 I do see a little showgirl in there too!

Thank you! I've been wanting to work on breeding some things out before selling many eggs/chicks so I put getting my NPIP certification off for now. Whenever I do actually get it you are more than welcome to some free eggs if you are interested at that time! ☺️

Welcome back!❤️

View attachment 3261888View attachment 3261887

Hatchery stockView attachment 3261890

I just love these photos! Your girls really are just gorgeous! ❤️

Here is the 3rd gen project cockerel I hatched earlier this year. He hatched from a blue egg so may carry a copy of the gene. He's 21 weeks old now. He does not look like he is 1/8 ameraucana. Just wish he was less orange.

View attachment 3263677

Beautiful! I would definitely think he was full silkie just looking at him. 🥰

Here is the 3rd gen project cockerel I hatched earlier this year. He hatched from a blue egg so may carry a copy of the gene. He's 21 weeks old now. He does not look like he is 1/8 ameraucana. Just wish he was less orange.

View attachment 3263677
I'll take him if you don't like the orange!

He looks better than the full silkies his age. I used the males from last years shipped eggs. They aren't quite the shape Im used to.

This guy is from one of my elderly roosters, though. So even though he's rather orange, he's well worth his weight. Molly is his mother, so his daughters should be very good broodies.

Back
Top Bottom