Silkies with Other Chickens

HalpMeh

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
Somewhere Southern
My silkies are just getting to laying age. I ended up with 4 roosters and 2 hens.
(Tractor supply told me one thing, I got another. LONG story,)Would my chickens be okay if I added some other type of hen chickens to the flock? What kinds of hens could I add? What would work the best with my chickens? Thank you! :)

My silkies are just getting to laying age. I ended up with 4 roosters and 2 hens.
(Tractor supply told me one thing, I got another. LONG story,)Would my chickens be okay if I added some other type of hen chickens to the flock? What kinds of hens could I add? What would work the best with my chickens? Thank you! :)

Of course! I know some people don't like mixing silkies or bantams in general with other birds, but I have all my birds living together great and some of my silkies are even on the top of the pecking order. I currently have silkie, two types of red sexlink, barred rocks, easter eggers, and cuckoo marans. Along with four ducks and a goose who they also live with

Yup, perfectly fine, especially if the Large Fowl are the new ones.

I worry about your Male:Female ratio.
I am trying to add more females in. I bought my chickens from tractor supply. The guy who gave me my chickens said I had two roosters and 4 hens. He said he knew how to tell the difference between the boys and girls. I should have done my research, but I trusted his word. Welp, he was wrong. :/

Back
Top Bottom