Silky Chick still gaping!!

Sarah and Joey

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Hi
I have a silky chick who is now 10 weeks old and was hatched in a incubator.
Since it's soo cold here in the UK at the mo, she has been raised in our home and not been outside yet.
Just before Christmas she was sneezing a bit and kept doing a gaping action, we visited the local vet who advised that she seemed to have the symptons of gapeworm (as she'd never been outside he couldn't understand how she'd got this) but advised that it was good practice to worm her regularly anyway.
So we treated her for 7 days with Flubenvet and it seemed to ease the gaping slightly but she was still doing it.
After a couple more days we tried changing the bedding in her box from sawdust to straw thinking the dust may be causing the sneezing, it seemed to ease off again for a couple of days but then some days she is still doing the gaping action a lot and sneezing occaisonaly.
As she's gone to sleep tonight she seems to have a slight wheezing in her throat.
Anybody any ideas what could be wrong with her??
Could it be that the Flubenvet hasn't worked??

Thanks for any advice.

Nope, we clear droppings out every morning and the straw bedding is replaced with fresh every other day.
Wash her water dish, and fill with fresh water every day.
Give her fresh food everyday, this is also emptied and cleaned once a week!!
She has dry 'grower' food in her feeder, and we give her small daily treats of fresh corn or peas - which don't have time to touch the floor before she's pecked up the lot!!

Is she shaking her too? I had the same problem with 3 chicks. A guy we used to know dropped them off by me to "sort them out". We had the vet round, we medicated them, everything. I also thought it may be gapeworm and the vet thought they had some kind of infection in their air ways. One chick came right by herself in the middle of the night, one died and the 3rd solved the mystery. We had to hand feed her and one evening during her bed-time feed she struggled and I accidentally squeezed her throat, hard. I put her down next to me, she sneezed one huge sneeze and I mean huge. Everything from the shoulders up went into it. And she was fine. No more wheezing, gaping or head shaking. She wasn't sick. She had something stuck in her throat!

Pour a little bit of olive oil into your chick's mouth and make sure she swallows it, then gently rub her throat and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom