Silver laced Cochin Bantams

Pics
Thank you very much for your help I don't know how, but I just realized. Someone actually replied. Forgive my ignorance. How do I email you? I'M not seeing an email. Address. I've got a lot of questions regarding. Chickens period lol. Thanks again,Shellie
Hey :) Your first question is a lot more complex then you realise. Breeding white to black would depend on many things, which white are you talking about? There are the two base types of white dominant white i+ and recessive white I. Genes in poultry will often express in the f1 cross and not always from the sire/dame mating. Black hides a lot of other enhancers and restrictors too. But a recessive white roo to a pure black hen will give you 100% black offspring in the f1, the f1xf1 cross will result in 25 % white, 75 black. A dominant white cross black hen should give you white f1, with plenty of leakage. The inhibitors in chickens tend to act differently then what you have described, the effect of columbian (Co) for example in a partridge cross will push the colour to a buff colour, and restrict the black into the hackles and saddle of the offspring. The "red" that you are referring to is Gold, the base of gold is s+ (wildtype), Silver being (S). So a partridge male s+/s+ cross to a silver hen S will give you a sex linked gold, with the males being heterozygous gold S/s+(yellow) and the females being gold s+/- The best book i have heard is out of print, but if you can try and find "Creative Poultry Breeding" By Dr. Carefoot. it is slightly out of date though, but the basics are the basics. If you have any further questions then feel free to pm me,i will probably not know the answer but can point you in the right direction
smile.png

Thank you very much for your help I don't know how, but I just realized. Someone actually replied. Forgive my ignorance. How do I email you? I'M not seeing an email. Address. I've got a lot of questions regarding. Chickens period lol. Thanks again,Shellie

Just noticed a typo in my reply. Dominant white is I and recessive is c. You can pm me if you like, i am also learning though:)

Here he is. I've posted his dad on the thread and his mom is in my cochin pics

Shy, he's ADORABLE! I was hoping to let my little ones grow up a bit and see what (if anything) I even have to work with!
I'm still sorting through the genetics in my head... So he would be best crossed back to Silver laced hens, right? I have 2 chicks and am praying I have a least one girl (so far my Calicos look to be 5 girls & 1 boy. What are the chances my luck will hold?). If not, crossing him to Columbian will give me what? My brain says 50/50 chance of incomplete pattern vs. no pattern. Do I have that right?
Are you planning to keep him around a while???

U
Shy, he's ADORABLE! I was hoping to let my little ones grow up a bit and see what (if anything) I even have to work with!
I'm still sorting through the genetics in my head... So he would be best crossed back to Silver laced hens, right? I have 2 chicks and am praying I have a least one girl (so far my Calicos look to be 5 girls & 1 boy. What are the chances my luck will hold?). If not, crossing him to Columbian will give me what? My brain says 50/50 chance of incomplete pattern vs. no pattern. Do I have that right?
Are you planning to keep him around a while???

He would be best crossed to silver laced and some babies may have some pattern. But mainly he'd contribute good body type.
He is just starting to crow and am full roosters so he's gonna go to a sale tomorrow. But i've hatched five from the parent birds and a couple more eggs yet to hatch so likely another few males available later.

Hi I just read that SL Cochins are rare? Is this true ?

In my opinion silver laced cochins are not rare, however, anything of decent quality is extremely rare. Many hatcheries still produce them on a large scale, but with low quality. The problem is that there are very few breeders that are working with them trying to improve type.

Back
Top Bottom